Looking for post on replacing a main water shutoff under pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In responding to another thread, I remembered a fairly recent post someone made about how they have had to replace a residential main water valve with the water running -

I have searched and searched but can't find it.

If memory serves, seems like Rugged or Cass may have been the poster.

Can anyone help me find this?
Thanks.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
It is not a good idea to try doing any type of plumbing with the pressure on. You could get hurt, or worse. The guys that might have done that are pro's and the circumstances could have warranted their actions.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Might want to look into propress...
If the line is hard copper ProPress would work...
A little messy and all but do-able...

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm a DIY homeowner so would never think about doing this myself, but it was, as I recall, a very interesting and amusing story by one of our professional plumbers -

Just wanted to hear more about how this is done, for my own curiosity rather than for practical use myself...

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
get some waders

you need a pair of salmon waders if you are going to
attempt that,

and perhaps some sort of gloves to
keep the frigid water from numming you hands while
doing this procedure....

you will probably look like a wet rat
when it is all said and done...

make sure all electrical wires are off the flor
or unplugged from the wall

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
replacing water meter valve

Its kind of ironic that this topic has come up,just last week had to change a meter valve under pressure for a bank owned foreclosure,the city required the change because the old 3/4" globe valve had taken a beating over the years,the stem was broken and you needed vise-grips to close the valve.The real kicker in this senario was that curb stop did not function,the water stayed on in the open and closed position,(now the cities problem)because it was an old 3/4" galv. water service the pressure was not that great, maybe 40 psi and the house was vacant with a basement,you do the math.Any way took out a 24"+18" alum RIDGID wrenches and backed out the old valve very care-fully with the valve opened slapped some dope all over the threads and put on a new 3/4" wog ball valve,the key is to have your new valve open when installing so the resistence created by the flow of water will not hinder you from starting on the thread.This was the second time in 25+years I had to make a change of the meter valve under pressure.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I couldn't tell by the PDF document how it works - could you please describe?

It attaches to the pipe ahead of the valve you want to replace. It clamps to the pipe, and a bore is made into the pipe. Similar to how service lines are attached to the main under the street. It becomes a permanent installation, as of course you cannot remove it after the hole is made!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They have an installation video on their website for the Jomar device. Neat fixture, but it's NOT cheap. Under the right circumstances, I guess it could be. I just did a quick search, and a 3/4" one ran over $300. There are two versions - one for copper, the other for steel, cpvc (and maybe other materials).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks