Lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I got a question here about a ceiling light fixture in my son's room. Whenever, I put a light bulb in it, it blows it out immediately. It is a 3 light bulb fixture. I am using the right light bulb and the right walts, is there a possible short in the fixture or maybe, a short in the wiring? Is their a way for me to tell? My husband put this fixture in about 12 years ago. Thanks. Cookie

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
If you can loosen the fixture and measure the voltage on the wires that would help. You can do it directly through the light socket but a little slip makes big sparks. You could also go to the switch that controls it but that may not be conclusive if there is a wiring error where you don't see it.

See if anything else in on that circuit. If you trip that breaker you can then check other things to see if they are off. If there is other stuff and it is OK you have narrowed down where you will have to look.

Maybe somewhere in this circuit a hot from the other side of the panel got used instead of neutral. That would give you 240 V.

Cookie

Reaction score
Me do that? lol. Nope, lol. But, I did buy a new fixture just in case it is that. It probably is the fixture don't you think? ( I don't look good like this)
4_6_100.gif

Nothing else was added on the circuit, nothing different. But, above my son's room is the attic.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A loose connection in the lamp or lamp holder that allowed the connection to make and break with vibrations can foil the bulb, but not immediatly when installed.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is possible that you have a multiwire branch circuit that has a loose or missing neutral. That can be bad for anything on the circuit, such as an expensive appliance. You need to call an electrician friend to check it out while enjoying a beer, or maybe even dinner.

Cookie

Reaction score
I called the Protection Services I have thru my gas company. They are really great. He should be here tomorrow. I will let you all know what he said. Thanks for your help.:)

Cookie

Reaction score
The electrician came today and showed me the wiring going to the fixture needed to be fixed and the fixture needed to be replaced because it charred the wire in the socket. So, everything is now working fine. What a nice man.

Cookie

Reaction score
The wiring inside one of the sockets was charred. Not much more to say. He said some heat got to it. It is fine now, thankfully all taken care of. Whenever, I would put a bulb in it, right watts and size, it would immediately blow. The wiring going to the fixture he also fixed. He did say what kind of wiring it was, said he saw older and worse, he said it is fine. It is working fine. Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A corroded connection can act sort of like a loose one, sort of like turning the switch on and off quickly (light bulbs almost always fail up turn on - the shock fractures the filament).

Cookie

Reaction score
I know he fixed whatever was wrong. He was here before for the bathroom ceiling heating lamps and lights, the kitchen ceiling light, which then, was shooting sparks across the ceiling like the 4th of July a couple of years ago, and several outlets. I would say, I am his best customer. :)

Bald Eagle

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a very nice contractor and have built a good relationship with them.

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, I have had my share of service people with not only questionable, professional skills but a few whom were horrible, transparent, nasty, argumentative, people with rotten attitudes, smart arse's. The electrician mentioned here is not only very knowledgeable but also, normal, very normal, which is great. Which is all anyone, any customer wants.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I am sorry Bald Eagle, I am sitting here laughing at my post~~
I am alittle grumpy this morning. Not you Grumpy, lol.

Here is a nice picture for you:
16_8_102.gif

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That Bald Eagle kinda looks like a parrot sitting there :D.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks