Used boiler needed

Users who are viewing this thread

bmccabe

Reaction score
Website
www.ferret-properties.com
Just had an American Arcoliner boiler crap out. Used to heat small, one-family house (steam). Becket oil burner in good condition. Looking to purchase a used boiler or the whole shebang if necessary. New York City area. Any leads most appreciated.

Contact Brian at 973-865-1863 or email at bmccabe@ferret-properties.com.

BigLou

Reaction score
I can only imagine how crappy the places he has must be if he is to cheap to find a heating guy to install a new boiler.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
HAHAHAHA... From his website:

There are two faces to property rehabilitation and one isn't so pretty. One is when property is purchased and quickly resold for a large profit, after little or no meaningful rehabilitation. I think those who engage in this kind of property rehabilitation harm neighborhoods and families rather then help them.

Then there's meaningful rehabilitation...giving new life to older homes is what Ferret Properties is all about. As a developer of high-quality rehabs, we feel no kinship whatsoever with those who enhance the cosmetics of a house, while leaving potentially serious problems for the buyer.

See how good a rehab can be! Take a look at a few rehabbed houses. Then take a look at a Ferret Properties rehab. You will be amazed at the difference. From design changes that make the home more functional to our attention to detail, a Ferret Properties home stands apart. And, isn't that what your family deserves?

http://www.ferret-properties.com/

This from someone who's looking for a used boiler. Uh-huh...

Hopefully people notice the name of his outfit, realize it's a better description than his sales pitch!

bmccabe

Reaction score
Website
How nasty...

This house is not for sale, smart guy. It is a rental house in a bad area that has twice been vandalized for copper. The boiler that is being replaced is an old coal-burning conversion that was on its last legs. The used boiler that I was able to get is a one-year-old, 178K btu Peerless in near-perfect condition. It was installed by a master plumber this weekend and he was impressed with its condition. So, before you carry on like a member of the the morality police perhaps you should know more about the background of the matter you are commenting on.

And, by the way, spend a day with me and see the kind of work we put into the houses we rehab and compare to others you see in the areas where we work. That is, if you have the guts.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
This house is not for sale, smart guy. It is a rental house in a bad area that has twice been vandalized for copper. The boiler that is being replaced is an old coal-burning conversion that was on its last legs. The used boiler that I was able to get is a one-year-old, 178K btu Peerless in near-perfect condition. It was installed by a master plumber this weekend and he was impressed with its condition. So, before you carry on like a member of the the morality police perhaps you should know more about the background of the matter you are commenting on.

Sorry for the misunderstanding - didn't know you could find 2nd hand boilers in good condition - people tend to wait until they're on their last legs to replace them, so 2nd hand = junk.

And, by the way, spend a day with me and see the kind of work we put into the houses we rehab and compare to others you see in the areas where we work. That is, if you have the guts.

I used to live & work in Bed-Stuy, across the street from the projects. My landlord dealt crack off my front stoop... I watched 14-yr-old kids shoot it out in front of the house while I was running crown one day... got off the ladder & hit the floor pretty quick! So, no worries.

If you're actually doing good work on the rougher side of town... kudos, and my sincere apologies.

But surely you understand why I'd be dubious? Lots of unethical flippers in those neighbourhoods. Seems like poor folk are more easily duped, or something... I'm sure you've seen/met enough of the scammers, to understand why I'd be suspicious.

If you're not one of those, like I said, you have my sincere apologies.

bmccabe

Reaction score
Website
Apology accepted...

...and I am not like one of those who does minimal work and looks for maximum profit. The same house I referenced with the above had code compliant electrical (grand-fathered) but I replaced it because I wouldn't want my family living with such a risk so why should I allow some else's family to do so?

Brian

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I know what you mean. There's some truly crazy "it was code-compliant when installed" setups in the tri-state! Not to mention the ones where generations of handymen have "improved" on it... eek.

Pete C

Reaction score
A guy I work with who has an old converted coal boiler that has seen better days, is also looking for a used unit.

He's not a hack flipper. Just a typical homeowner struggling to make ends meet like alot of us.

He says he has seen quite a few 3-4 year old boilers on ebeigh (hope that one gets by the filter) :) . Apparently there are quite a few folks out there with prefectly good boilers who either outgrow them through an addition or go with a super high efficiency model.

Seems like a 1 year old would be really difficult to come by, but, if you did, good for you!

helix3

Sr. Systems Engineer, Biotech
Reaction score
Look for a possible 'scratch and dent' sale? I've saved on showroom units or ones that were dented during s&h. No functional issues, just cosmetics.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks