Hot Water Setup / Master Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

khargis

Reaction score
Greetings,

We bought a new house with 2 hot water tanks, connected together, in the garage. From the research I've done so far, I'd say they are in series, not parallel (not 100% sure). Here's my issue: The shower in the master bath is just warm water. It does not get very hot so we open the faucet up the whole way (I took out the stopper underneath the handle to see if this was the problem). If the guest shower is on, (which is right next to the master shower) then the master shower gets very hot, but only if the guest shower is on. I can adjust the thermostat on the main tank (right now it's about 125ºF), but it does not affect the master shower directly. Both tanks are electric and are connected via a copper pipe on the top. From there, both heaters have a pipe that are run into a wall (I do not know where they go from there). The main tank (the one with the thermostat) has a valve on the pipe before it goes into the wall, it appears to be in the off position (not 100% on this one either - I didn't want to mess anything up). I'm not sure the pipe layout between the master shower and the guest shower, but they have to be connected somehow, or the water temp wouldn't change in the master shower when the guest shower was on.

If anyone has any ideas how I can heat up the master shower water while the guest shower is off, please let me know.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So, one tank has a Cold water connection to the wall, the tanks are connected together and each tank has a hot water connection to the wall?? Is that right?

khargis

Reaction score
I did not look closely at the connections. I'll double check tonight and repost tomorrow. Thanks.

khargis

Reaction score
I got it figured out. While I was searching the lines in / lines out, I noticed a panel on the second unit that was turned towards the back wall. After wedging myself between the tank and the wall, armed only with a screwdriver, I discovered the missing temp control on that unit (my wife had to help me out of the position I was in - it was quite comical). I set the temp a little higher and now we have hot water in the master shower. When we moved into the house, I was told that there was only 1 thermostat so I never thought of looking for a second one. This should go down as one of those bad installs / bad seller explanations you hear about.
Sorry to waste everyone's time. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks