Toto Aquia verses Caroma dual flush

Users who are viewing this thread

acb

Reaction score
I have been browsing the net about both brands for dual flushing for the past few days and was looking for some last minute thoughts. Though there is a lot more info about the Aquia on this website than Caroma's. I was wondering if any had personal thoughts between the two brands. I haven't heard too much bad about the Caroma's; I could really use some more information on them :)

Also, if I install the Aquia do I need more then a new wax ring, a longer water hose (16" if I remember correctly), and verify the drill bit sizes for the tile?? I am trying to be as prepared as possible since it sounds like a bit more of a job to install than other toilets.

Thanks for any help and thoughts!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've installed dozens of Caromas and Aquias.

The round front Caroma is 28-1/4" long and the elongated is 30-1/4" long.

The elongated Aquia is 27-1/4" long, takes up less room in a small bathroom.

They both flush well,
They both have a small water spot, small but deep.

The glazing on the Aquia seems to stay cleaner.

To install any new toilet, you will need a seal (wax), attachements, bolts or screw kit (for some Caroma models) and a supply.

I normally order Aquias twenty at a time, and the Caromas two at a time.
Either toilet works well.

toto_gerber_caroma.jpg

Last edited:

RemodelBob

Reaction score
does the aquia have the same 3" valve as the drake?

i loved the drake i bought from you a few years back, after that I bought a promenade for another bathroom and it didn't have the good valve.

there is already one drake at the new house, and i want to make sure all the new toilets end up with 3" valves.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
aquia_inside_tank.jpg

Looking inside the Toto Aquia tank with the Dual-Max flush valve.

On the Aquia and the Caroma, it's more like a 2" valve, but the trapway is a little bigger.
I haven't had any issues with plugging.

RemodelBob

Reaction score
do you still get the cool sounding dump of water like on the drake? the promenade seemed to flush like a normal toilet and the drake just lets it rip.

zone29

Reaction score
skid mark hell

If small children will use the toilet, on no account get an Aquia: the water spot is just too small. We installed 4 Aquias in our new house, and I am completely fed up with scrubbing off the skid marks from BMs that didn't hit the bull's eye. I am sure we have used more water through the brushing/reflushing process than if we had used regular Toto Drakes. I have read in another thread that the Caroma has the same problem. We are architects who have always specified Toto, but the Aquia is a disaster. If the waiting list for the Aquia is really so long, perhaps someone would like to pick mine up when I finally say enough is enough and chuck them out onto the street!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
skid mark hell
Any new bowl will mark more then one that has been used a while.
They seem to "break in" some.
The Drake bowl does stay a bit cleaner than the dual flush Caroma and Aquia.
However, low volume bowls also need more cleaning then old style 3.5's.
Experience has shown that while good 1.6 or less toilets, may plug less than an old bowl, it will require more touch-up with a brush.
I think some bowl cleaners help with sticking too.

I don't have a waiting list in Seattle for these, I continue to sell about 10 month and still have plenty in stock.

A bowl that cleans well, is something like the Toto Soiree and Guinevere, CEFIONTECT with double cyclone rinse.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks