3/4 inch or 1/2 inch lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

jpbellis

Reaction score
Hello, I'm remodeling a bathroom and I'm getting ready to run new water lines. I had a friend who was a plumber that told me he would run 3/4 inch lines throughout the bathroom. However, all my new fixtures have 1/2 inch rough in valves. Is there any value to the 3/4 inch lines with 1/2 inch fixtures?? It seems to me that the 3/4 inch is overkill if the water is going to be throttled by the 1/2 inchers... Help! :confused:

thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I believe I answered this in another forum... Same answer would apply here as well.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless you are going to use a fancy shower with multiple heads, I think 1/2" will be plenty. One big drawback to 3/4" for hot water is that it wastes a lot of water flushing the cold out before you get the hot water. Of course, you can always use a recirculating system or a point of use heater, but I don't think you'll need it. I did my bathroom with 3/4" once, and it wasn't long before I repiped it with 1/2".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks