Water Filter another Kinetico

Users who are viewing this thread

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I just looked at a friends water filter set up and he has two Kinetico filters set up like batteries. The strange thing is that the first system has the water feed going in and coming out with the arrows. The next one in line has the feed going against the arrows. That is were my confusion comes in. He has alot of iron in his water and the water filter Co. comes out every year to clean the systems, because the feed lines going to the filters get clogged with iron. The first system in line is stuck in the regeneration phase. He has already done the screw driver trick and it will not work anymore so it is bypass for now.

So he has two of the filter tanks with the clear dome on top the rest is black. Then after these tanks there is an aerator. Then after that is what looks like a water softener. My friend informed me that the last tank was there when he bought the house and the kinetico people left it in line.

I gave him a test kit so we can find out how much iron and other stuff he has in his water. I want to know if he has what he needs or if it over kill and he can dump some of the stuff. I would also like to know if he needs something better, or different.

I know it is not much to go on and am very sorry that i did not take a pic or coppy down the numbers off the tank. I know he needs something to keep the iron out. I just think there is something better.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Andy, I can't understand why you need to know if there is a by-pass valve, what difference it would make if there is one or not? Or... why not tell him something about if there is one and something else if there isn't one...

The flow is against the arrows and thereby wrong unless there is and in/out head and the thing is upflow; which I don't suspect it is. My guess is that the local Kinetico folks plumbed something backwards and probably have ruined it. And it's been there for years! while they service it annually. lol

Us online treatment guys can't do that...

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm trying to get more info from my friend, but he is on vacation this week. I have been calling, but he is not around. I am hoping for him to take a few pic's for the forum to help with everything. When I looked at the system Sunday (1-20-08)I was a bit overwhelmed. I don't know that much about major water filter systems, but want to and I'm very into learning. I live in an area that has real need for water filters, softeners or iron out systems.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Patrick, sorry for the misunderstanding. Can I suggest that if you are replying to someone, it would help if you quote what they said.

Patrick,

Not to worry. I was wonder how such a conclusion could happen.

Anyway, Let us know what you find out and what info you need.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
CORRECTION:I have an error in my last previous post above. I said other forums, I should have said here and on other forums.

Andy, "such a conclusion" happened because it is based on my having received copies of the PMs and emails from some of the people you and justalurker have sent them to here and on other forums.

Some info you can provide Patrick now is why you are requiring him to get his distant friend to find out if there is a by-pass valve on the unit that looks like it is plumbed backwards before you'll tell him anything else.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like you guys are PMing each other as Andy and others do on other forums. Maybe to sell things. If they are just helping the poster, I question why do it privately.

Private messages, and then commenting out of context like the above posts, hacks up the thread here and no one else can learn anything because all you two are doing now is thanking each other for info no one else has.

I think that is wrong and shouldn't be allowed.

Anyone else agree?

One reason for PMing is that there is at least one moderator (not on the plumbing forum) who doesn't tolerate any discussion whatsoever about any of the adverse technical realities of the equipment that he peddles. He deletes the posts and at times even bans the poster.

Maybe you could use your influence to get the "wrong and shouldn't be allowed" principle to that situation.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Actually Bob I have been asked about banning or suspending those folks and voted for the suspension and in one or two cases, possible banning.

Although in the past I haven't agreed with banning, especially without serious cause but... Andy, geniescience was it, justalurker, RUGGED, racina is it and probably others have done all they could to get me banned here and on other forums. They have been successful in 2-3 forums. Speedpump has also been banned on other forums because of some of those same people. And as we see, Andy's last post complains about me getting 'personal' about the PM thing; which on some forums can get you in trouble with power hungry mods.
And here you are after a poster mentioned you helping him but it wasn't in the thread... so I commented on it publicly (see below).

So within the last three weeks I've changed my position on banning and will vote for it and initiate it, especially for those people above when they give bad and/or incorrect advice. I'll include others that earn the right to be banned too. BTW, you, Justalurker, Rancher in some cases and racina come to mind.

I've posted here since roughly Jan 2003. Terry and the moderators here are the best I've seen anywhere on the 'net since I got on it in Jan 1997. Terry appreciates the 'pros' in whatever field they are in and the mods aren't into ego driven power trips and aren't anti business as far too many other forums are. So if you get in trouble here.... you've done something serious and you've well earned what you get.

Personally, because of my 20 years working on well pumps and tanks, and in water treatment, I don't agree with your take on the CSV, or in many cases pumps and pressure tank sizing. And your advice to posters to use disposable cartridge filters. Or your PM to me last week about the softener owner that PMed you about programming his softener with high iron content water.

You are wrong in many instances, especially with that softener programming you told him to use. And although I told you where and why not, you repeated what I told you was wrong with your ideas!!! You never so much as said hello or thanks. Yet you told me you don't know softeners... how can you disagree with me then! I know it's because you are an engineer. And you don't know what you don't know because to you, you know everything.

BTW, if I had my way, OP PMs wouldn't be allowed; maybe PMs between 'regular' responders would be allowed but only after 100 or 200 posts. I tell original posters that PM me to post it publicly so others now and in the future can learn too.

The mod you refer to is a manufacturer and has patents on his CSV products and many years of experience with pumps and wells etc.. He has received bunches of feed back from hundreds if not thousands of drillers and pump guys that use his product, not to mention the end user customers like water companies etc.. And you disagree with them all, yet I doubt you've ever seen one or used one.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I just saw this thread and thought I would chime in.

Gary is right about the people who have had us banned from sales oriented Forums who absolutely won't allow any advertising of any kind and the Moderators who are apparently on a power trip and who for whatever reason don't like people like myself who sell items over the Internet.

I have also been asked if I thought several people should be banned from this Forum and I responded. As a result those offending members were banned for a week. You know who you are.

I also run a Forum which deals mostly with Water Well related equipment. I have never banned anyone unless he/she was a Spammer.

One member of my Forum who shall remain anonymous was talked about and several members were asked if he should be banned. The members who were polled voted in favor of keeping the member in question. So as you can see, not all members are bad guys and out to get someone with a different point of view.

I have seen Andy's comments on other Forums and can't say as I agree with anything he has to say. He represents Kinetico and swears that it is the best product on the market. He is entitled to his opinion. But as far as I am concerned, he is simply a trouble maker. When he leaves he won't be missed by me.

Any questions?

bob...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some of the pump guys are selling things.

I don't sell pumps, so it's not really a worry to me.

I do sell other products, like faucets, toilets, sinks and lavs.
That's where my focus is.

So to keep it short, the pump forum is looking good, and I'm glad we have some pros helping out.
Terry

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I never thought a Question would cause a big issue. I just want to let every one know. I'm still waiting for more info. My friend works crazy hours. I sent him an email looking for the info you all asked so just playing the wait game.

Sorry for causing problems.

I answer questions in the forum only. Unless I don't want the question or comment in the open.
I joined this forum so I can learn more and help others. The only other forum I joined is http://forums.debian.net/.
It is a good idea to only give answers in the forum so like others have said "we all want to learn more".

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Patrick, you didn't cause any problems, Andy did as he does wherever we post.

He types a lot but doesn't actually say anything to help many members with their problems. He usually does what he's done to you. He always asks for more info but never gets around to finding the cause of the problem. He could have given you advice based on if your friend's Kinetico stuff had a by-pass or if it didn't. Instead he gets chatty in two more useless posts.

Check out the other Kinetico thread here. Andy has again replied by asking for more info and he doesn't tell the guy anything close to a hint of what could or might be wrong. I'm beginning to believe that although he sells Kinetico, he doesn't know anything about how to fix them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I am not sure what is happening here but I am being verbally assaulted by Gary Slusser. I am trying to get to the bottom of patrick88's problem and Gary continues to assail my inquiries with a derogative comments and aggressive behavior.
I am doing my best to ignore such abuse and I am counting on you to moderate and mediate...as is what I feel is prudent and proper.
Please respond here if you would.
Thank you,
Andy

Andy,
You may be a little too sensitive to be here.
Most of us use tools all day, and skin our knuckles, bang our heads and sweat so bad we have to shower before dinner.
So far, I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary here.
Terry Love

sptfc063.jpg

You can ask these guys about wells and pumps.
Right now, they are conferring on a well problem.
The one on the right, is thinking the well is too shallow, but thinking, without tools it's going to be a bugger to make it deeper.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks