Power cord for plama TV

Users who are viewing this thread

gehrigc

Reaction score
The cord it comes w/ is SJT cable and isn't as long as needed. I bought another cord but realized it's SVT.
I don't know much about the difference, but doing some research, looks like the SJT is for hard usage/service and the SVT is a vacuuum cord.

1) What does hard usage/service mean?
2) Can I use the SVT cord instead of the SJT?

Thanks!
Gehrig

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Looks like the main difference is the SVT cord is designed to be more flexible. They're both rated similarly, although SJT is available in larger wire sizes. Oddly, though, one vendor's 12-3 SJT is only rated for 10A, the same as the 18-3 SVT. Let's wait for BobNH to respond; he'll know.

gehrigc

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.
I forgot to mention that both cords are rated 18AWG / 3C.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The big thing probably is how much longer is the new cord? A plasma doesn't draw a huge amount of energy, but then 18g isn't all that big, either. If you are going to buy one significantly longer, I'd probably want to go with a heavier gauge wire. You don't need the PS working harder than needed because of voltage drops.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
18AWG wire is good for 7Amps, I believe. That should be enough for atleast 800 Watts. If you want to consider the voltage drop, it'll be approx 6.5 Ohm/Foot.

I would just get a 14AWG three-prong extension cord and use the stock cable.

Jason

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
18AWG wire is good for 7Amps, I believe. That should be enough for atleast 800 Watts. If you want to consider the voltage drop, it'll be approx 6.5 Ohm/Foot.

I would just get a 14AWG three-prong extension cord and use the stock cable.

Jason

I would just rough in a new receptacle behind the tv so you dont even see it...;)

KD

Reaction score
Are you running this extension cord inside the wall so the TV installation looks neat ? It is against the Code to run extension cords inside a wall or cabinet. It is OK to run TV and computer cables inside a wall.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Lakee did you mean milliohms? Or were you sugesting toaster wire?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks