(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hot water not hot

DIY Junior Member

Default hot water not hot

changed termastat 2 times and changed elements 2 times still water get to 90 deg and is set at 130 ,get volt reading of 117 at therm and element whats going on? 28 gal side inlit no down tube.
    Last edited by rbs62; 01-19-2008 at 09:49 AM.

I'm not sure I understand the last thing in your question, but if you are saying there is no dip tube, that's the problem. The dip tube is located under the inlet nipple and goes to the bottom of the tank. Cold water comes in and is moved to the bottom of the tank through the tube and hot water is forced to the top. If the tube is broken directly below the inlet, the cold water remains at the top of the tank so you will get very little hot water. The tube is supported by a flange at its top and just hangs down. My guess is if you remove the nipple going into the tank, you will find the remains of the tube, perhaps only the flange end. Nothing to do about the remains that will be in the tank, just be sure the inlet is cleaned out of any broken pieces and replace the tube.

DIY Junior Member

the inlet is at bottom of tank outlet is at top on side

If this is a 120 v heater, then I'd guess you have a hot water leak somewhere.

DIY Junior Member

it is 120 v and no leak

Are you on a slab?

DIY Junior Member

single wide trailer

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Are you sure that a) the replacement elements are for a 120V WH, and b) you've got 120V (or 117V) at the element, not just at the thermostat? What is the resistance of the element?

How many elements does it have?

DIY Junior Member

it has 1 1500 watt element the top contacts and the middle contacts and the element all show 117 volts the element shows no resintce.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Resistance should be around 9.6 ohms.

DIY Junior Member

there is no numbers when checking oms i put set on 20 oms tuch the probs together and get 0 then on the element and get 0 wires are diconected from element.water gets about 95deg thurmastat is set at 145d.eg

Do you have any single handle valves or any shower head that has a shutoff on it? Cold water could me mixing into the hot.

How do you know that the water gets to 90 degrees? Where are you measuring it?

Once it's stopped heating, can you turn up the thermostat a little and see if it starts heating again?

A 120 degree setting may be low enough to prevent scalding, but there is now speculation that it may also be low enough to breed bacteria like legionaire's.

I keep mine at 140 and recommend the same to my customers without children.

DIY Junior Member

i've had it set on 140deg for 2 days now and it sits over night it is at 90 deg at the tap in the bath room about 5 ft from the heater.