Another water pressure regulator question (from San Diego)

Users who are viewing this thread

Elvis_in_San_Diego

Reaction score
Hello:

I recently bought a repair kit for a Wilkins 70 water pressure regulator. The old regulator was whining with any water use.

I seem to have solid pressure (45psi) but it appears to spike when the hot water heater (gas) reheats (upards to 160-180 psi) but goes back to 45 psi.

Is this something to be concerned about and is there something I can do or do I need to buy somethingelse to install? The water heater has a pressure releif valve.

I read a couple similiar posts but I am not sure if my problem is the same. I am measuring the pressure from a hose bib sticking out of the back of the house. It seems to go up after the kids shower and for soem weird reason overnight - not sure what time - else it sits there happily at 45 psi.

Any thoughts feedback advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water Pressure

Yes You Need A Thermal Expansion Tank Installed On Cold Water Feed Into Water Heater, !

Look At The Display In The Big Box Stores !

Macplumb 777 Master Plumber Ca. Contractor:d

expansion-tank.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gmt

Reaction score
With the pressure regulator you have a closed system. When water is heated it expands thus increasing the pressure. As the post above states, you need to install a water heater expansion tank. With the tank installed on the cold side of the water heater, it will absorb any increase in pressure.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This expansion tank has a bladder inside and the tank must be charged with air to the same pressure the regulator is set to. This is done with an air compressor. Watts recommends the use of a bicycle tire pump to avoid too much pressure. The volume is quite small, so using a large compressor could easily put too much pressure very quickly and rupture the bladder. I used a large compressor, but I was super, super careful to just touch the inflater button. Follow the installation instructions careful regarding supporting the tank. The photo in the previous posting is one example of the several ways the tank can be mounted. If you can sweat copper fittings, this is not rocket science to install.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Going up when the WH burner is running is a sign of need for expansion tank. Creeping up at other times, like overnight, can be bad diaphragm or seat on the PRV. I am in San Diego, and our water is cruddy enough that rebuilding a regulator is rarely successful. You just cant get the internal surfaces cleaned up well enough. It certainly isn't worth the time, as the repair kit is probably 1/2 the cost of a complete new valve.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If your pressure is getting up to the 160-180 PSI range it also means that the T&P valve is defective and not opening. This valve should open at 150 PSI. This is a vital safety item and it needs replacement even worse than you need the expansion tank!

Check out this video!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks