Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
auger_01.jpg

We use a closet auger with the large 1-3/8" end on it.
Smaller cables can go right by the obstruction and not move it.

auger_02.jpg

korky_plunger.jpg

This is the plunger we like.
Leave a little bit of water in the bowl, and use short quick strokes until the water starts to vibrate,
Then lift up slightly.
Hopefully, it lifts the mass up so it can get another run at it.

You can also pour a five gallon bucket of water into the bowl.

Last edited:

rgwb

Reaction score
3-month old Toto Drake gets clogged, GI Joe

We did a bathroom remodel 3 months ago in our 104-year-old house and installed a Toto Drake in the spot where the old toilet had been (i.e. no new plumbing). It worked great until last week, when it started getting clogged anytime solid waste or TP was flushed. We tried every DIY trick in the book, then finally called a drain guy today who augered it several times and told me he can't think of any reason why this would be happening except that the toilet has a defective trap. He showed me how the toilet would flush fine but immediately clogged up when he put in a wad of paper.

In researching online I haven't come across any posts about Totos being defective, but I know anything is possible. But could there be any other possibility? It just seems strange that it would work fine for 3 months and suddenly develop this problem. We're not having any trouble with any other drains in the house, or water backing up in the basement, etc. And I don't hear any gurgling in the toilet when the taps are run, so I assume it's not a vent problem.

TIA for any help or suggestions!

RGWB

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With a 4-year-old, there could be anything in the trapway - pen, pencil, toys, who knows what. A toilet auger won't always get out things. You have a clog. It could be in the toilet, it could be further down the line. Hope you didn't pay that guy much...

You may need to remove the toilet. If it is caught inside, sometimes you can see it from below. If not, they you've got good access to clear the drain.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
gi_joe.jpg

We had a similar job we went out to, the first plumber told the homeowner that they had a defective bowl.
Jamie went out with his auger, and decided to pull the bowl.
This is what he found.
The first plumber had run his auger through, but it went right by Mr GI Joe.

I've always believed that if a bowl is having a problem, you should at least pull it out, and look in the lower part of the trapway. Mirrors help too.

Last edited:

rgwb

Reaction score
Curses, I was afraid that might be the answer. Guess I've got that to look forward to tonight. This problem happened right after we had two little girls over to play, but I was hoping that was just a coincidence.

By the way, Mr. Drain Guy suggested that the problem was the hole in the Toto flapper, and that it needed to be plugged up or replaced so that it wouldn't close so fast. Even I in my ignorance knew that that wasn't the answer.

RGWB

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Mr. Drain Guy suggested that the problem was the hole in the Toto flapper, and that it needed to be plugged up or replaced so that it wouldn't close so fast. Even I in my ignorance knew that that wasn't the answer.

And that's why it's hard to find a good plumber.
Worked great for three months, and one night, it's the flapper.
Not logical Mr Spock.
So........since you can understand something like that, (the plumber didn't) have you considering entering the field of plumbing?

rgwb

Reaction score
ROFL - I'll suggest that to my husband tonight and see what he says. :D

I just read your thread on the toilet auger and that's the same one Mr. Drain Guy used. But I guess even a large one like that could miss an obstruction?

My son got a kick out of the GI Joe picture - he said it looked like he was trying to make a break for it but just didn't quite make it.

RGWB

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It isn't that hard to pull a toilet. Whether you'll find the problem in the toilet or further down the drain is still open. Having the toilet off makes it easier to use a proper drain cleaning snake. If you are lucky, you might see it if you have a small inspection mirror, or feel it if you've got a small hand.

toilet-toy-mario.jpg

toilet-toy-mcdonalds.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rgwb

Reaction score
ARGH. I pulled the toilet and no obstruction was visible. Are you suggesting that I try using a snake by going in from underneath the toilet? And also snaking the line while the toilet is off? What is the "proper snake" to use?

I didn't sign up for this and I don't know what the h*** I'm doing.

RGWB

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
auger_01.jpg

This is the auger we use with a 1-3/8" end on it.
If you can't see anything from the outlet, it could be at the top bend.
We did have a rubber ducky stuck at the top bend before.
I'm not kidding, someone put a rubber ducky in and tried to flush it.

toilet-batman.jpg

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Closet auger is my best tool on the truck

But I use the telescoping auger that reaches 6' and with the regular bulb end.

I've tried those larger ended augers and I've ended up not clearing the toilet because I can't maneuver the top of the trapway in the toilet. Doesn't matter if I hard jam it, wind forward or reverse.

I've been averaging 3 clogged toilets a week which is what I want knowing it's 8 minutes here's your bill I gotta go.

Poop Soup!!!!! shocked2.gif

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I didn't sign up for this and I don't know what the h*** I'm doing.
RGWB
I feel the same way about life in general. My favorite toilet snake is a length of 1 1/4" bilge pump hose -- the corrugated plastic kind. I taped one end over with duct tape and just push the whole thing down (or up) the trapway. Now that you've got the toilet up, you may as well snake backwards -- it's conceivable that GI Jane or whoever is stuck, and might only come out the same way she went in. You did remember to buy a new wax ring for resetting the toilet, right?

rgwb

Reaction score
Funny, I used a piece of corrugated hose (from a wet shop vac) last night because I don't own a snake. It would have worked great except the end was too long to make it around the curves into the trap. So then I switched to a stiff bungee cord, and I was able to get it through the trap with some wiggling, but it did feel like it was pushing past/through something.

AAAAGGGH WHAT is in there?? Remember this has been snaked/augered repeatedly by both my husband and Mr. Drain Guy. Someone talk me down before I take a sledgehammer to the Drake. I am just a wee bit frustrated with the "toilet that never clogs." :mad:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Try using a small mirror and flash light to look up into the trap way from the bowl. I dealt with a toilet at a police station and found a Marijuana test kit stuck in the trap way. The auger just passed by it every time. Tooth brushes are notorious. They will catch all the paper but let the auger by.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Resist the temptation of using the sledgehammer on your son. Might let him think for awhile that he has to use that toothbrush until the first of the month. On the bright side, you learned how to pull and clean out a clogged toilet. If it happens again, you'll be all set to deal with it.:)

rgwb

Reaction score
I am mulling over the various options of what the Consequences will be for my son (and yes, I'm 99% sure he flushed it on purpose, probably because he was too squeamish to reach in and get it after he accidentally dropped it in). And believe me, telling him he had to keep using it was one of the first things that popped into my mind.:D But I think he'll be finding himself with some cleaning supplies and the toilet brush for quite a few Saturdays until I think he's done about $125 worth of work around the house.

RGWB

rgwb

Reaction score
Of course he probably didn't tell you he needed a new toothbrush too.

:D

Um, NO. I'm picturing something like this: 9-year-old boy goes into bathroom after being told 5 times to brush his teeth before bed. Picks up the toothbrush, then proceeds to make funny faces in the mirror for 2 minutes. Realizes he is holding something in his hand, and starts pretending he is Harry Potter holding his wand, gesturing wildly and putting curses on bathtub and toilet. Wand/toothbrush goes flying, lands in toilet. 9-year-old considers the possibilities, then crosses fingers and flushes. Toothbrush disappears, and hooray, problem solved. Heads to bed hoping Mom doesn't notice bad breath. Sleeps peacefully.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I am mulling over the various options of what the Consequences will be for my son (and yes, I'm 99% sure he flushed it on purpose, probably because he was too squeamish to reach in and get it after he accidentally dropped it in). And believe me, telling him he had to keep using it was one of the first things that popped into my mind.:D But I think he'll be finding himself with some cleaning supplies and the toilet brush for quite a few Saturdays until I think he's done about $125 worth of work around the house.

RGWB

Okay now....

It would be wise to start another thread apologizing to the makers of Toto toilets, exclusive to the "Drake" model for unfair and biased opinion that caused potential unjust harm.

Everyone that chimed in on this thread and those who know the product knew it wasn't the toilet that was the problem.

The Drake Gods are unhappy with youshakefist.gif

Make the kid brush his teeth with that same toothbrush as well; I promise he'll never do it again.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks