Hot water issue in the shower

Users who are viewing this thread

luvmy2gals

Reaction score
Hi - I have a question...a little while ago we had leaky faucets in our tub. We had someone come and he replaced the knobs and not sure what else, to get the leak to stop.

Now however, the water does not get as hot as it used to, and it seems to cool faster only because when it starts to cool, we can't turn it up to as hot as it used to be.

I just unscrewed the knobs to see if there was a way to turn it up that may be obvious but I couldn't see anything. My father was a carpentry teacher, so I have done quite a few do-it-yourself projects at home and am not afraid to try, but I haven't messed with a shower before.

Is this an easy fix?? I thought maybe if I took the knob off that I could re-set it so it turned farther to the left (hot). I can't get through an entire shower without the water getting too cold that I can't stand it.

luvmy2gals

Reaction score
One more note....it is ONLY in the showers. I have been told to turn up the hot water heater, but the dishwasher, washing machine, and sinks all get burning hot water. The showers are the only thing that don't, and it's only since those new knobs were put in the showers.

There is one knob, it turns left to turn it on, a little is cold, and all the way to the left is supposed to be hot.

And we can't call the guy who put it in to come back and fix it, it was someone from my hubby's old job and he has changed jobs and their relationship is not great now.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many valves have a hot limit adjustment - usually a screw adjustment. Take the handle and eschution off and look. If you can't figure itout, take a picture and post it here or look on the manufacturer's website.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
A brand name of the faucet might help. If it's a seat and washer faucet there's a chance he used a different kind of washer that doesn't open as much on the hot side. (pignose)

luvmy2gals

Reaction score
Ok here are pictures - but this is as far as I wanted to take it apart before knowing for sure what I was doing. I need an allen wrench to get that pin out. I assume maybe I need to go farther and then take a pic?

One more thing, we have no access panels in this house to get to the pipes behind the tubs in either bathroom. A genius built this house. So the guy who fixed these knobs didnt get into a panel.

The brand name on the knob is Delta.

Attachments

• tub 001.jpg
    tub 001.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 255
  • tub 002.jpg
    tub 002.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 258

luvmy2gals

Reaction score
.....and the white plasic ring has "hot" and an arrow - however it will only go so far as it is notched. I'm wondering....if I take out that pin, and move the plastic ring counter-clockwise in the direction of the "hot" arrow, will that do it or do I need to go farther apart with his knob?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming that stop can be adjusted, take it off entirely, adjust the valve for the hottest you want to be available in the shower, then put it back in so that is the new limit. No need to do it a little at a time until you get it where you want it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks