(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: 3/4 inch or 1/2 inch lines?

Default 3/4 inch or 1/2 inch lines?

Hello, I'm remodeling a bathroom and I'm getting ready to run new water lines. I had a friend who was a plumber that told me he would run 3/4 inch lines throughout the bathroom. However, all my new fixtures have 1/2 inch rough in valves. Is there any value to the 3/4 inch lines with 1/2 inch fixtures?? It seems to me that the 3/4 inch is overkill if the water is going to be throttled by the 1/2 inchers... Help!

thanks

I believe I answered this in another forum... Same answer would apply here as well.

Unless you are going to use a fancy shower with multiple heads, I think 1/2" will be plenty. One big drawback to 3/4" for hot water is that it wastes a lot of water flushing the cold out before you get the hot water. Of course, you can always use a recirculating system or a point of use heater, but I don't think you'll need it. I did my bathroom with 3/4" once, and it wasn't long before I repiped it with 1/2".

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

I used 3/4" as a main line with reducing tees to branch off with 1/2" to fixtures, individually, so no single fixture could drastically affect the overall flow available.