insulate pex?

Users who are viewing this thread

RemodelBob

Reaction score
I ran my hot water home run and part of the return line today (going to do a convection recirc system). Most of the run is in interior walls.

I have heard and read mixed opinion on insulating PEX. Some say since it doesn't conduct heat like copper you don't need to, others say you need to.

Let's get some more opinions.

RemodelBob

Reaction score
one more question. if i do insulate, is it acceptable to strap on the outside of the insulation when fastening parallel to a framing member?

if so, what type of strapping? just a roll of metal or plastic strapping--would assume only plastic, but since there would be 1/2 inch of insulation maybe metal is ok?

thanks.

Seaneys

Reaction score
I ran my hot water home run and part of the return line today (going to do a convection recirc system). Most of the run is in interior walls.

I have heard and read mixed opinion on insulating PEX. Some say since it doesn't conduct heat like copper you don't need to, others say you need to.

Let's get some more opinions.

I thought there was a thread a few months ago saying not to insulate pex.

Is the insulation specifically rated for use with PEX?

Steve

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
insulate p[ex if

If the pex is going to be exposed to
below freezing temps, then yes insualte the pex
probably with a electrical heat cord too.......

if you are doing a re-cir line only inside the home....it does not need to be insulated unless you are looking to save the energy...

just put armaflex on the pipe...strap it up with whatever....

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have insulated a lot of PEX. I don’t know about the savings with insulation. As far as the straps I just use the same straps I use when I do copper with insulation. I think there 1.25 or 1.5” with the foam insulation. It’s to cold (11* -4 with wind chill I think) to go out to the truck to look at what size I use.

As far as experience with PEX you can’t get away without a pump like you can with copper. I don’t do a lot of PEX work as a rule so I could be way off with that statement.
***edit***
I was saying that based off of a recirculation system.

Last edited:

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is relevent but I recently ran new pex piping from my furnace/boiler room to the master bathroom that is about 70-75' away. I put all the Pex Cold and hot in foam insulation sold in 6' sections and used foam tape to tape the seams. I also tented the insulation over the pipes.

The result is that I have hot water in about 1 min even while the temperature outside is close to zero.

Tom

RemodelBob

Reaction score
speaking of insulation specific to pex, would putting electrical tape on pex harm it? i put red tape on the hot and, blue on the cold because i only needed about 20' of cold and 150' hot and didn't want to have all that unused blue sitting around.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks