Repairing Screw Hole in ABS

Users who are viewing this thread

nsblue

Reaction score
OK, I'm dumb. There I admitted it but I assume that some one else has done it as well. I put a gyprock screw into a 2" ABS drain pipe in a wall. Is there an easy way to repair this? The hole is just below a fitting and I don't believe there is enough space to put a joiner fitting. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Dean

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Open the wall up a little, get some Rectorseal epoxy putty.

Others will recommend cutting out the fitting and replacing it all. Sometimes I say " you gotta do what you gotta do". That epoxy putty should hold the life of the building.

TMB9862

Reaction score
The correct method is to cut it out and replace it. If the pipe is horizontal I'd worry the epoxy may fail someday. If it's vertical defiantly stick some epoxy on it and you'll never have to worry about it. In any case clean the pipe well before applying the epoxy, hitting the area just a little bit with some 300 or so grit sandpaper would help it stick.

nsblue

Reaction score
Thank you both. The pipe is vertical so I will go with the epoxy.

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cut a 1 inch by 1 inch or slightly larger patch from another piece of ABS. Use a piece of the hub from a fitting, or a piece of pipe of the same diameter. You can warm it in boiling water and then use a hose clamp to force it to conform to the O/D of the pipe you will be patching.

Sand the inside of the patch and sand around the hole. Use ABS solvent to solvent-weld the patch in place. Secure with a hose clamp for 24 hours while the solvent weld sets up. The result should be as solid as any ABS joint.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I have my own oddball way of patching this type of hole. I use a woodworker's plug cutter to cut pieces of ABS, the same size as those used to cover screws in wood. Then I use a drill that has the same size as the plug I cut to dress out the hole in the pipe, and glue in the plug. Seems to work. It's a tight fit.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I like gardner or Herk's idea.

Could one wrap a very small stainless screw in some teflon tape and screw it in? :)

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I like gardner or Herk's idea.

Could one wrap a very small stainless screw in some teflon tape and screw it in? :)

It would have to be very short so it didn't cause an obstruction in the pipe if it did even work.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
why not Duct Tape???

If you are not going to cut the pipe ,
install a fernco fitting and do it right,

why not just use about 5 feet of
duct tape....???

or how about a whole roll of black electrical tape??

as long a s the pipe is dry when you apply the duct tape
it should last 5 to 10 years......

Last edited:

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't self fusing silicone tape work better than ductape? thats sold as super emergency repair stuff.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
MPM, You're slipping... You forgot about squirting 1/2 a tube of silicone on the pipe B 4 wrapping with duct tape...

If you are not going to cut the pipe ,
install a fernco fitting and do it right,

why not just use about 5 feet of
duct tape....???

or how about a whole roll of black electrical tape??

as long a s the pipe is dry when you apply the duct tape
it should last 5 to 10 years......

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Cass....they had already thought of that.....

Having my morning coffe.....

I think that they had already come up with epoxy and silicone...

Of course they could do the silicone, then wrap it with the
electrical tape......

then for good measure put that SS band clamp over the
whole thing and tighten it down

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey, y'all prepare yourself For the Rubberband man

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

take a smooth interior repair coupling and cut it lengthwise slightly off center. Use the larger of the two pieces. Coat the interior with ABS cement, and also the area around the hole. "Snap" the 1/2 coupling over the hole and it will secure itself and seal the damage. No clamps, no rubber, no epoxy, and no eventual failure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks