Horizontal vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

nculbertgm

Reaction score
I want to use a common drain for a tub and a shower. The most convenient point to tie the two drains together (each has its own trap) is in the center of the bathroom and I would install a single vent connection just before the two drains join. That would necessitate running the vent horizontally about 10 feet to reach a wall and then turning the vent vertical and taking it through the roof. The horizontal portion of the vent would maintain a 1/4" per foot slope. The IRC applies and the installation is in a one story house.

The santee used for the vent connection would be installed with the vent branch in the vertical position.

Is there a limit to how long the horizontal portion of the vent can be?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A vent can NOT run horizontal at all until it is 42" above the floor, or 6" above the flood rim of all the fixtures. It must come off the drain via a wye rolled to 45º and continue not less than 45º upward, until the 42" height is reached.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tub should be vented too, and the two vents tied together above the 42" level.
Or at the least, 6" above the top of the tub.

Like Jimbo mentioned, the vents need to be rolled above the flow line of the pipes.

nculbertgm

Reaction score
OK, but this is very confusing. Below is a link to a Figure out of the 2003 IRC. Except for the lavatory (which I don't haave) the example looks just like what I want to do. If it is OK in the IRC example, why wouldn't my proposal work?

nculbert-01.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaneys

Reaction score
A vent can NOT run horizontal at all until it is 42" above the floor, or 6" above the flood rim of all the fixtures. It must come off the drain via a wye rolled to 45º and continue not less than 45º upward, until the 42" height is reached.

I must be missing something. How would you vent any floor drains that are next to a wall (say a shower drain that is centered in a 40x48 shower)? Wouldn't you have to run horizontal for a few feet until you can shoot up into the wall?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I must be missing something. How would you vent any floor drains that are next to a wall (say a shower drain that is centered in a 40x48 shower)? Wouldn't you have to run horizontal for a few feet until you can shoot up into the wall?

The trap arm runs horizontal, typically to a vertical tee, and the vent comes off vertical. If the vent must be taken off a horizonal pipe, it is done with a wye rolled to a 45º and the vent pipe must rise at least at 45º until it is above the flood rim of fixtures.

Seaneys

Reaction score
The trap arm runs horizontal, typically to a vertical tee, and the vent comes off vertical. If the vent must be taken off a horizonal pipe, it is done with a wye rolled to a 45º and the vent pipe must rise at least at 45º until it is above the flood rim of fixtures.

Argh....

Illinois Plumbing Code:

b) Vertical Rise. Where vent pipes connect to a horizontal soil or waste pipe, the vent shall be taken off above the center line of the soil or waste pipe, and the vent pipe shall rise vertically, or at an angle not more than 45 degrees from the vertical before offsetting horizontally or before connecting to the branch vent. (See Appendix K: Illustration G.)

Seaneys

Reaction score
The tub should be vented too, and the two vents tied together above the 42" level.
Or at the least, 6" above the top of the tub.

Like Jimbo mentioned, the vents need to be rolled above the flow line of the pipes.

If you are draining into a horizontal line, could the vent be taken off upstream of where the trap arm connects?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks