(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Yet another question about boring holes in studs

Default Yet another question about boring holes in studs

I did a search and found quite a bit of information about boring holes in studs (including the Joist/Stud boring guide PDF), but I'm looking for a little more info.

I have 2 sinks in my master bath against an outside wall. The ABS drain pipe comes up the wall to the left of the left-hand sink, then through a stud and then a "T" connector. The one end of the "T" connection comes through the wall for the left-hand sink, and the other end goes through the next 3 studs, then a 90degree elbow through the wall for the right-hand sink.

So, if I counted correctly, the ABS drain line goes through 4 studs. It is 1.5" ABS, and the studs are 2x4. The hole must be about 2". I see stud shoes on the 2x4s that were bored. Now, according to the Joist Boring guide, you're not supposed to go through more than 2 consecutive studs when boring 60% (2" in a 2x4 is 57%). In my case, it appears that there are 4 consecutive joists that are bored 57% with stud shoes.

My problem is that with the new bath layout, if I were to continue the same design, I'd need to go through a 5th stud since I'm widening the space for the sinks.

My question is whether or not you can go more than 2 consecutive studs at 57% boring as long as stud shoes are used, or if it's not allowed even with the shoes.

If it's not allowed, I suppose I'll have to run the drain for the right-hand sink down the wall and then bore through the floor joists (2x10) which seems like it would be okay due to joist size. I'd bore over to the nearest drain line which is 4 or 5 joists away and then tap into it with a "T".

Any other options is the stud shoes don't eliminate the 2-consecutive stud rule?

Thanks!

-Hans

Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Those look like the stud shoes that I have in place. That's good. I'll see if I can pick-up one more at the local HD.

Does using these stud shoes means I can go more than 2 consecutive studs with holes?

Quote Originally Posted by hans_idle View Post
    Those look like the stud shoes that I have in place. That's good. I'll see if I can pick-up one more at the local HD.

Does using these stud shoes means I can go more than 2 consecutive studs with holes?
    So long as those studs aren't load bearing I would just go ahead and do it.

My guess is that they are load bearing, given that it is an outside wall with insulation in it. Again, the issue to me seems like the existing setup is not-to-code. It's a Toll Brothers house which is 19 years old, so the code may have been different back then.

I suppose I'll have to check with the township to see what they will accept. They've overridden a number of key electrical codes to make them more stringent, so maybe they have done something with plumbing codes that will affect my decision.

Default holes

I have gone through a lot more that 3 or 4 studs on occassion when job changes required it and had no problem with the inspectors.

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Man I wish I had those when I did my bathroom remodel.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hans_idle View Post
    My guess is that they are load bearing, given that it is an outside wall with insulation in it.
    Not all outside walls are load bearing.

True, not all - just the overwhelming majority.
    Master Plumber Mark:

do not hit your thumb...

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Overwhelming majority? I'd guess more like half, at least until full hip roofs started to become popular. That is, of course, an unsubstantiated guess .

...sometimes I don't think, before posting.

Of course it's only half. Doh!
    Master Plumber Mark:

do not hit your thumb...