Distance From Drain Pipe To Tile

Users who are viewing this thread

Delbert Raider

Reaction score
How do I figure how much room from the top threads on the drain pipe to the top of the tile that will be set on the shower floor. I am taking out a tub and making it into a shower only with a seat opposite the drain. So how do I get a good seal, How do I get the drain pipe and tile to match up? :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like you could use some help (duh!). I suggest that you go over to www.johnbridge.com and look in their "liberry". You can ask questions after you read the help there on building a shower. Note, you drain line may not be big enough to pass inspection. A shower generally requires a 2" drain line, your tub MAY have a 1.5". As to the drain height, most of the clamping (clamps to the waterproof membrane) have a height adjustable fitting. You worry about the height after you get the shower pan installed and the guts of the drain assembly installed. Finally, it is usually ackward to have the drain close to one end of the shower pan - it works and looks much better normally to have it centered. All of thatis covered in the "liberry" on the site.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks