hot water not hot

Users who are viewing this thread

rbs62

Reaction score
changed termastat 2 times and changed elements 2 times still water get to 90 deg and is set at 130 ,get volt reading of 117 at therm and element whats going on? 28 gal side inlit no down tube.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the last thing in your question, but if you are saying there is no dip tube, that's the problem. The dip tube is located under the inlet nipple and goes to the bottom of the tank. Cold water comes in and is moved to the bottom of the tank through the tube and hot water is forced to the top. If the tube is broken directly below the inlet, the cold water remains at the top of the tank so you will get very little hot water. The tube is supported by a flange at its top and just hangs down. My guess is if you remove the nipple going into the tank, you will find the remains of the tube, perhaps only the flange end. Nothing to do about the remains that will be in the tank, just be sure the inlet is cleaned out of any broken pieces and replace the tube.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
If this is a 120 v heater, then I'd guess you have a hot water leak somewhere.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Are you sure that a) the replacement elements are for a 120V WH, and b) you've got 120V (or 117V) at the element, not just at the thermostat? What is the resistance of the element?

rbs62

Reaction score
it has 1 1500 watt element the top contacts and the middle contacts and the element all show 117 volts the element shows no resintce.

rbs62

Reaction score
there is no numbers when checking oms i put set on 20 oms tuch the probs together and get 0 then on the element and get 0 wires are diconected from element.water gets about 95deg thurmastat is set at 145d.eg

E

elvisclock

Do you have any single handle valves or any shower head that has a shutoff on it? Cold water could me mixing into the hot.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
How do you know that the water gets to 90 degrees? Where are you measuring it?

Once it's stopped heating, can you turn up the thermostat a little and see if it starts heating again?

A 120 degree setting may be low enough to prevent scalding, but there is now speculation that it may also be low enough to breed bacteria like legionaire's.

I keep mine at 140 and recommend the same to my customers without children.

rbs62

Reaction score
i've had it set on 140deg for 2 days now and it sits over night it is at 90 deg at the tap in the bath room about 5 ft from the heater.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some valves when they are off have a defect that allows the hot and cold to mix. If you have one of those valves, say on the tub or kitchen or vanity sink, that may be the reason you can't get hot water to one of the other fixtures. What brands and models (if you don't know, can you post pictures) are the sink and tub faucets? Assuming any of them are single handle faucets, try turning them to full hot or cold and see what happens. WHen they are in the middle, the cross-over can happen. I learned this here, so I don't have any personal experience with this symptom...

rbs62

Reaction score
the handles are all both cold and hot units. the bath sink / tub / kitchen/ other bath sink and tub all are the same just to recap had hot water one day and the next cool hot 90deg at tap changed 2 elements and 2 therms still just 90 deg water therm is set at 150 deg.117 volts at all points.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The only way hot and cold mix in a washing machine is in the drum. They cannot cross connect.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

Instead of wasting money replacing elements and thermostats, use it to have a plumber check the heater and repair it. We cannot tell if you are testing the heater properly or not without watching you do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks