2nd floor hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

letsgotribe

Reaction score
Hi

I live in a home with a basement and two stories above it. (I've lived here 20yrs)

Lately I've been noticing that sometimes when you turn on the 2nd floor's hot water you'll hear what sounds like air in the line. I've not yet noticed it in the cold.

Where the pipes come up from the basement I've seen no evidence of a leak or any water damage (which should be pretty easy to see....)

As well, none of the faucets appear to have a slow leak/drip/etc.

Any idea of what could be causing this? (is this even a problem?)

Thanks!

letsgotribe

Reaction score
Spitting and sputtering of air and water from the faucet is the usual indicator of air in the lines.
How old is your water heater? Does it seem to be producing hotter water right now?
Mike

Yea, that is exactly what it sounds like.

The heater is under 5 years old and is not leaking anywhere. The water seems the same temperature as it has been since I set it.

letsgotribe

Reaction score
I'm now noticing air in the lines of my first floor hot water lines too

any idea what could be causing this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have a well, air in the lines could be from well problems. That would normally show up in both hot and cold, though.

letsgotribe

Reaction score
If you have a well, air in the lines could be from well problems. That would normally show up in both hot and cold, though.

yea, that is the weird thing. It's municipal water and it's only showing up in the hot water.

There is no faucet or pipe leaking anywhere in the house that I can see and the water heater (gas) seems to be heating the water properly still. I've noticed zero temp fluctuation since this problem started....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks