Outdoor gas shutoff valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zuffy

Reaction score
I have an external NG gas line for my Weber grille in the deck. The previous owner set this up back in 2000 when they remodel the kitchen. I want to change the shutoff valve since I have to replace the nipples to connect the Weber gas hose. Is there such a thing as an outdoor shutoff valve or will any gas shutoff valve will do?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can use a simple ball valve on the pipe, but they are not specifically "outdoor" valves. Your hose should to the gas pipe with a quick coupler as well. These quick couplers are very similar to air couplers and while they also shut the gas off when the hose is disconnected, you should have a manual valve as well.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
You may want another real gas shutoff valve inside the house too where it's protected from the elements.

Jason

Zuffy

Reaction score
I have the quick connect coupler from the grill hose to the gas line, and before that is the manual gas valve. That is the valve I want to change. The only part I am unsure of now is do I have a valve at my kitchen range that will shutoff the outdoor gas line too or will I have to shutoff the gas from the gas meter.

Is this gas ball valve from Home Depot OK?

www.home depot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100345785&marketID=116&locStoreNum=1256
(this site ban linking to Home Depot? Just copy and paste the link and remove the space)

Last edited:

Zuffy

Reaction score
This is how it looks like:

http://mysite.verizon.net/zuffy/valve.jpg

Description from Home Depot:

The universal valve for gas applications is the ball valve. The specifications for ball valves used on gas lines are different from those for water lines, but the construction and operation is similar. As the valve handle is turned to open the valve, the ball rotates to a point where part or all of the hole through the ball is in line with the valve body inlet and outlet, allowing gas to flow through the valve. Ball Valves are designed to be operated fully open or fully closed. They open and close quickly with just a quarter-turn, are simple, and are trouble free. When the ball is rotated so the hole is perpendicular to the flow openings of the valve body, the flow stops. Ball valves have fewer moving parts and are considered the most reliable.

Easy Quarter-Turn Operation
For use with natural, LP (after a regulator), mixed and manufactured gases in normal residential and industrial low pressure heating and appliance applications
May be used with water at pressures up to 175PSI
Forged Brass Construction
One-piece body
Chrome plated forged brass ball
Coated aluminum lever handle
Fitting Name : Valve

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Zuffy, there is no way for us to tell if you have a valve at your kitchen range that will shut off the gas to the grill. It's possible, but not a typical way of plumbing the gas line. You'll just have to look at the pipes to see if there is a valve or not. If there is, then you can leave the meter on. Otherwise, shut the meter off.

Zuffy

Reaction score
Shutting off the gas at the gas meter is not a problem. I just wanted to avoid relighting the pilot for my boiler and water heater. I am 99.9% sure the external gas line is in series with the range gas line since the external gas line is parallel to the range but outside.

So, is the valve I posted any good? That is all Home Depot have. I do have access to many plumber shops in NYC if there is recommended brand/model.

Thanks for the help guys.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks