Pump volume and pressure question

Users who are viewing this thread

djdixon1995

Reaction score
I'm getting about 5 GPM (using a bucket and a watch) and mediocre pressure from my well. It's a 1/2 HP pump into a tank with 40 PSI reading on the tank pressure guage. Is there a way to improve the volume and pressure?

I'm guessing volume is a function of the pump so I'd have to get a bigger pump to get more water.

Can the pressure switch or the tank precharge be adjusted in order to increase the pressure from the faucet?

Thanks,
djdixon1995

R

Rancher

I'm getting about 5 GPM (using a bucket and a watch) and mediocre pressure from my well.
Are you measuring the output of the pump, or the output of the tank? i.e. did you isolate the tank and just capture the water out of the well? What kind of pump, submersible or above ground jet?

It's a 1/2 HP pump into a tank with 40 PSI reading on the tank pressure guage. Is there a way to improve the volume and pressure?
What is the range of the PSI on the pressure guage when the pump cycles, 20/40? If so yes you can adjust that switch to turn off at a higher pressure, but depending on your answer for what kind of pump you have, it may not be able to pump that high.

I'm guessing volume is a function of the pump so I'd have to get a bigger pump to get more water.
Volume is a function of how many impellers the pump has if it's a submersible pump, and how big the pipe is. Volume at the house is also a function of how high the pressure is at the tank.

Rancher

pitless

Well Driller, pump installer, engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.pitlessunit.com
Rancher,

Volume is the thickness of the impellers. Pressure is the result of more stages or impellers.

djdixon1995

You need to be more specific. Do you get 5 gpm at 40 psi. Or do you start at 40 psi and then the pressure drops as you draw the water.

Rancher is right in asking how you measured your flow rate. Just sampling from a faucet may show many different types of problems. Such as a valve partly shut off can result in low pressure when the well and system is fine. Also rusted water lines or fittings can cause problems.

Can you pump straight from the well and determine the water level? This would give the capacity of the well and indicate if you have probems in your water system.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Assuming you have a jet pump. 6 gallons per minute at 40 psi with a lift of 10 feet is about what can be expected from a 1/2 hp.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks