Two Water Heaters, which one does what?

Users who are viewing this thread

djdixon1995

Reaction score
Greetings,

I recently moved into a house with two gas water heaters. They're located in different parts of the house. Is there an easy way to tell which water heater supplies which outlets or are they usually hooked up in series?

Thanks,
djdixon1995

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
shut the supply to one of them off and see what still has hot water...

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Wouldn't turning off the supply without turning off the burner cause the pressure valve to vent if the burner comes on? I have seen an awful lot of water heaters that use the water utility for an expansion tank.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How long does it take to run a tap to see if there's still water coming out? If you are worried, either turn the gas valve to pilot position or flip the circuit breaker. Unless there is a cross-connection, shutting the input water off will tell you which tank feeds what fixtures. If you can get water from the hot tap when either tank is shut off independently, there's a cross-connection; if you get no water out when one tank is shut off, it's fed by that tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks