Hydrotek 1114 timer quit/installing RB timer help!

Users who are viewing this thread

vics44

Reaction score
Website
www.mywingbling.com
I built my home in Florida in 1990 and a hydrtek 1114 was installed to control the water sprinkler system. Initally had 4 zones, had another zone installed to make it five in approx 1999. Now that the timer has quit, I have decided to upgrade to a Rainbird (Up to 6 zones) timer. The hydrotek only has two wires coming from the pump/value/water area to the garage. It was a manual clock type operation with the pins.

Can I hook up the Rainbird timer box to this unit. If so, how do I just hook up 2 wires when the new unit wants all the zone wires plus a value wire and a common wire. I am just a little confused and need some direction.

Thanks for any help!:confused::eek::)

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
An indexing valve like a Hydrotek is usually controlled by a special timer made just for this purpose, because there needs to be a pause between zones, in order to allow the indexing to take place. Rainbird does make some controllers that can be programmed to provide this pause. The only output from the Rainbird controller to the system would be the common and the master valve.

vics44

Reaction score
Website
www.mywingbling.com
I will go back to Lowe's and swap out this controler Does anyone know if the up to 6 zone rainbird controler will work with the two wires? I tried setting it up but it will not work on the auto select button but only on the manual use button (water now). Is there a way to program it to give the pauses needed for the zones to move to the next one. If this one won't work what model would work for what I need? All help appreciated. :)

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Pause-between-stations is not a feature you get on bargain controllers. Is the existing controller broken? If not, what features are you looking to get? (and are willing to spend a hundred or so to obtain)

Intermatic makes a controller for these valves, but all I see so far is an Intermatic model that powers a pump.

Any company that makes the indexing valves will also have a controller for them.

Last edited:

vics44

Reaction score
Website
www.mywingbling.com
Hey wet boot, thanks for all the information.

I have the rainbird 600i controller that is pretty automated. After reading your post, I went out and found the red wire connected to just zone #1, so I moved it to the master valve connect. The white wire was put into one of the two common wire connect holes. I went through the zones manually by selecting the zone number and then pushing the water now button. All of the valves are working fine(watering) doing it manually. I then thought about setting the times for the 5 zones starting at 1am, 3am, 5am, 7am, 9am. Then I set the watering time for 2 hours less 2 minutes or a total of 118 minutes, giving each zone a 2 minute rest before allowing the next zone to come on. This should give each zone the time to recover before the next zone starts up.

I now have the zone set on auto select. The two wires are on common & master valve. I will try it tomorrow to see if this will allow the 600i rainbird controller to move through all the 5 zones. What do you think? I sure hope it works!

Again, thanks for your help!

vics44

Reaction score
Website
www.mywingbling.com
Wet boots, I meant to tell you the Hydrotek 1114 motor has quit working, I believe the motor is gone out. I went to lowe's and was recommended the rainbird 600i (for up to 6 zones). Their personnell was helpful but none had connected the controller up to only two wires before. I am sure other people who owned one of the 1114 will eventually run into the same problem I ran into. If I have to spend a hundred dollars, if this don't work, I will, but hopefully I won't have too.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Don't expect too much. It takes time to be certian of the indexing. Time that standard controllers don't provide. Good luck, though. You never know.

vics44

Reaction score
Website
www.mywingbling.com
Hey Wet boots!

It worked!!!!!!!:D:cool:

Got up this morning at 6:00 am and checked the sprinkers and again at 7:30 am, they were on and had changed zones!! The rainbird 600i for up to 6 zones will work as a replacement for the Hydrotek 1114 two wire indexing valve system. You just have to do the settings as earlier described.

I do appreciate the information and I hope this helps someone else!:)

erindar

Reaction score
Need Help w/ Hydrotek 1114

I have the same problems with my hydrotek 1114 timer not working anymore. Why did you replace with the rainbird600i and not a hydrotek 2114. I'm told that the 2114 is the same as the 1114.

Also, the way you set your zones...1am, 3 am etc.....Is each zone watering for 2 hours?

Thank you so much for your advice.....

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Undoubtedly, the Rainbird clock was cheaper. It just lacks the usual pause between zones that indexing-valve-controllers employ. If your particular indexing valve doesn't take too long to index, then you might get away with using an ordinary controller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks