How to get pipe in place?

Users who are viewing this thread

hans_idle

Reaction score
In my bathroom, the 1/2" copper supply line that feeds the 2 sinks goes through about 5 joists that are on 16" centers. The joists are 2x10 or 2x12 (dont recall which). The longest continuous span of copper pipe (no "T" or couple in place) is about 4 feet long. Given that the holes are slightly larger than 1/2" and given that they are about the mid-point of the joist from top to bottom, I have no idea how they threaded 4 ft of copper pipe into the joist. I would think the pipe would have to bend, but it doesn't look like it was bent. Getting through the first hole would require holding the pipe at an angle. Once through the hole, because the pipe is angled, the hole in the second joist would be missed.

My issue is that I have to move the plumbing lines over. If I wanted to have 4 feet of copper pipe run through the joists, how the heck would I get it into place? Do I need to bend it slightly and then bend it back?

I guess I could use a number of smaller pieces and connect them all with couples, but that seems like the hard way.

I'm mystified as to how to do this.

-Hans

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is it soft copper rather than rigid?

Another option would be to use pex.

hans_idle

Reaction score
The copper in place is type "L", so it's rigid.

I had thought about PEX. I even had a family member say "no one is putting copper in anymore". I don't really know enough about it, and initial searches led me to believe that it might be problematic when using the stuff they sell in the big-box stores versus what the professionals use (parts failing, class-action lawsuits, etc.).

I'll take a look through the threads here on the board again on PEX.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
When plumbing a new house, I would often drill holes all the way out through the rim joist for the main lines. Once the pipes were in, the siding was put on the house and, yes, it would be hard to replace with copper.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're only dealing with 4 feet? I think I'd I just buy a handful of couplers and use small pieces that could be threaded through the holes. I wouldn't want to do a whole house that way, but for no more than 4 feet, it would very little time to sweat 3 or 4 extra joints.

TMB9862

Reaction score
When plumbing a new house, I would often drill holes all the way out through the rim joist for the main lines. Once the pipes were in, the siding was put on the house and, yes, it would be hard to replace with copper.

That's how it's usually done. The wall is drilled all the way to the end and the pipes are then slid in. I bet if you look their are extra holes on the studs where their are no pipes. That or the studs were pre-drilled, the pipe slid in, the the studs put in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks