Altman's angle stop valves

Users who are viewing this thread

bobbobwhite

Reaction score
otley_collection_1.jpg

http://www.altmansproducts.com/

I have Altman's high end, Ottley collection angle stop valves in my remodelled bath in both shower and sink. They are so hard to open and close! My wife chose round knobs and I can't open and close them with wet hands. I have to dry my hands to use them and it is still a chore. Very stiff and not at all like Moen, etc. I can't change them out as they were chosen by a "designer" my wife hired.

Is there a way to loosen the friction of these angle stops, or will I have to replace the knobs with expensive levers to solve?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Contact Altmans and order new hot and cold cartridges. If they won't sell them to you, ask them who they will sell them to.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd take the cartridge out, put some silicon plumber's grease on things, put it back together and see if it helps. At best, it costs you a few bucks, at worst, you waste a hour figuring out how to take them apart.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Not to deflect the thread, but are these really "angle stop valves?" I thought that term referred to those shutoff valves we use for toilet and faucet supply lines.

bobbobwhite

Reaction score
Altman's has a lifetime guarantee

but dealing with Altman's is like talking economics with Alan Greenspan...what planet did this company come from? I have had trouble with every Altman's product in this new bath and it wants the old valves or cartridges back first to see what is wrong BEFORE it will send new ones or even the old ones back. What? And all that time we would not be able to use the sink? Jeez, what a nutso place.

Lifetime guarantee. Sure. As long as we put up with a bunch of idiots and their idiot replacement policies.

Don't ever buy Altman's products! A dealer I talked with also doesn't like them and said their products are made in Mexico(!!!). This bath set cost over $400, more than Grohe, and the dealer we bought it from said it was made in Europe. Maybe we should sue him.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
All you can do is live and learn -

As I've learned on this site, some of the big name fancy-schmancy designer plumbing fixtures have some serious liabilities, like parts availability -

Makes me appreciate the low-end Moen "builder's special" bathroom sink faucets in my house which have been going strong for 18 years no with NO attention whatsoever!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks