Toilet drain line carry question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Greetings,
I had a question pertaining to a repeated plugging of toilets on the basement level. The toilets drain pipe runs horizontally 40 feet or so before entering the city sewage system. Do low flow toilets with 1.6 L flow flush have enough water pushing human waste this distance and subsequently, will repeated similar events lead to a plugged / blocked drain line?.... Furthermore, could this be a toilet paper problem... are some brands better than others in preventing clogs in that they break down or shed and disolve quickly once in contact with water.
Can you shed some light on this issue and recommend a toilet (or paper) that would address my concerns... or are these thoughts unfounded.
Cheers, Graham H.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What is the specific problem that is occurring? Is the line clogging, or, are the toilets clogging?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the pipe is installed with the proper slope and doesn't have any low spots or roots intruding, it should work fine. Older cast iron could get rougher inside - pvc or abs stays smoother and flows better.

Grazzy

Reaction score
sometimes the plastic pipe gets bowed down when they pour the concrete floor. this creates a slight hill to go up making obstruction of the pipe more likely. throw in the water saver toilet and some teenage girls using two-ply toilet paper and whatever else they might use and you have a recipe for disaster. :(:rolleyes:

seems i've seen the scott one-ply paper recommended more than once here.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many 1.6 gallon toilets will have a drain line carry of about 58 feet.
Hiowever, I think they go farther than that with smooth pipe.
The last place I lived, it was 250 feet to the main sewer.

If you need to push it though. Something with a 3" flush valve, or even better would be to push it with a pressure assist from Flushmate. Kohler makes a nice bowl that you can get with a Flushmate.

[video=youtube_share;Rrcuvd2vV6o]http://youtu.be/Rrcuvd2vV6o[/video]

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks