Strange architectural lighting wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Backglass

Reaction score
Hey all,

We moved into our current money pit about eight months ago. It was a foreclosure/eviction so many things were non-working including numerous 120v architectural lights in the front yard/drive area.

Saturday we had nice weather and I got a wild hair to try and trace out what was wrong and after pulling the first light was surprised to see SIX wires and a rainbow of colors below. I got out my Fluke and figured out I had at least two circuits. This is what I found:

Blue - Hot #1
Green - Ground
White - Common
Brown/Yellow - Hot #2
Red/Orange - ?
White w/orange tape - ?

Now I found a loose wire from the lights and got them working but my questions is: Is this kind of multi-color wiring normal?! When I first saw the colors my first thought was that they were running the well wiring through this post! (it's in the vicinity)

Also there is a GFCI outlet in the area (showing a "brownout"...about 60 volts) so could all these wires be for that? Do you normally wire 120v architectural lights up to a GFCI?

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
There could be multiple hot wires and a common nuetral (should be larger), especially if they're individually switched. Can you follow the conduits and open up a few more of the lights or junction boxes and trace it out?

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Hey all,

We moved into our current money pit about eight months ago. It was a foreclosure/eviction so many things were non-working including numerous 120v architectural lights in the front yard/drive area.

Saturday we had nice weather and I got a wild hair to try and trace out what was wrong and after pulling the first light was surprised to see SIX wires and a rainbow of colors below. I got out my Fluke and figured out I had at least two circuits. This is what I found:

Blue - Hot #1
Green - Ground
White - Common
Brown/Yellow - Hot #2
Red/Orange - ?
White w/orange tape - ?

Your guessing, you need to open everything up and make a map of what is doing what, check inside your house to see if they are switched or hot, the hot ones could possible be for receptacles... but your the one that has to do the homework...

Backglass

Reaction score
Your guessing, you need to open everything up and make a map of what is doing what, check inside your house to see if they are switched or hot, the hot ones could possible be for receptacles... but your the one that has to do the homework...

No, I'm asking. ;) Is this kind of multi-color wiring normal for the electrical professional?

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
No, I'm asking. ;) Is this kind of multi-color wiring normal for the electrical professional?

Thanks all.

Sure, for ungrounded conductors any color will work except green which is only for grounding conductors, and you have gray and white for grounded conductors...

You should feel lucky to have so many colors, makes the job easier figuring out what does what...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks