Gas dryer Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I just installed a new gas line from my exixting line to convert my Dryer from Electric to Gas. Thanks for all the advice from this forum. Black pipe turned out to be very easy to work with. As long as you have the right lengths....

Well I also relocated the dryer. The vent is now 8 feet away from the original location. I cuppled the 2 flex vent hoses together. The existing and the new. About 12 feet in all. Are there any concerns in doing this? I also mounted a carbon monoxide detector in the room to be safe.

Can I run the Vent pipe along the ceiling joists? It seems only warm to touch.

Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Flex lines on a dryer are not a good idea, especially on a gas one - they can and do restrict the air flow, collect lint, and pose a fire hazard. Use solid ductwork instead, and you'll shorten the drying time since the air will flow better, and help prevent lint buildup.

I know they sell the flex hoses for dryers - people use them because they are easier, but if you read the installation instructions, most say not to use them.

H20Man

Reaction score
Flex lines on a dryer are not a good idea, especially on a gas one - they can and do restrict the air flow, collect lint, and pose a fire hazard. Use solid ductwork instead, and you'll shorten the drying time since the air will flow better, and help prevent lint buildup.

I know they sell the flex hoses for dryers - people use them because they are easier, but if you read the installation instructions, most say not to use them.

The hose between the dryer and the rigid vent connection is going to have to be flexible, right? I don't see how you could connect rigid vent directly to your dryer unless you screwed the dryer to the floor so it can't move.

That being said, the shortest length you can use is preferable.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nope, you can go with a ridge elbow right from the dryer then into metal ducting. You can use an elbow that is adjustable, but it is not the plastic flex pipe. Attach it to the dryer with a couple of sheet metal screws and you will be able to move the dryer without pulling the connection apart.

H20Man

Reaction score
Nope, you can go with a ridge elbow right from the dryer then into metal ducting. You can use an elbow that is adjustable, but it is not the plastic flex pipe. Attach it to the dryer with a couple of sheet metal screws and you will be able to move the dryer without pulling the connection apart.

By adjustable elbow do you mean metal flexible pipe?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes. It's adjustable, but it is not the plastic flex pipe. Same material as used in the rest of the venting.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score

George R

Reaction score
Attach it to the dryer with a couple of sheet metal screws and you will be able to move the dryer without pulling the connection apart.

Gary, I'm not sure I would recommend sheet metal screws. It sure seems like a big "lint catcher" to me. I would recommend just using "foil" tape or duct tape to secure the connections.

But otherwise, I agree with both you and Jim.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Codes often allow 6' maximum metal flex duct coming out ot a dryer. Then it must be smooth single wall galvanized duct.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks