Toto toilet-- replace gasket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ho333ard

Reaction score
I hate to declare design flaw in something that has so much good design . . . but the seat bolts have come loose and fallen off, and access to the bolt space is via the rear, and there's so little clearance to the wall that only a child with no forearm bones would have a shot at getting in there.
So, it seems my only option is to get some help and pull the toilet.

Now, assuming nothing bizarre happens, can I just stick the toilet right back on the old gasket, and go about my business? Or is there something that will need to be replaced?
It's been in place for . . . about 2 years I guess. No extreme conditions . . .

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have seat bolts that drop into a model with an enclosed base, then you use the supplied rubber drop-in anchors with stainless screws that come with the toilet, not the nut and screw that comes with the seat.
If those were thrown away by the plumber, you can either pull or lift the toilet off of the adapter, depending on model, and access from the bottom. If you have that type, it's very simple too. The wax stays in place with the adapter, and the bowl can be droped back in when done.

Ho333ard

Reaction score
If you have seat bolts that drop into a model with an enclosed base, then you use the supplied rubber drop-in anchors with stainless screws that come with the toilet, not the nut and screw that comes with the seat.
If those were thrown away by the plumber, you can either pull or lift the toilet off of the adapter, depending on model, and access from the bottom. If you have that type, it's very simple too. The wax stays in place with the adapter, and the bowl can be droped back in when done.

Thanks! No plumber, it was all me-- I'll dig around and see if I still have those.
I generally never throw anything away, for better or worse . . .
So, the toilet can be lifted off, and put back, and won't leak?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So, the toilet can be lifted off, and put back, and won't leak?

Depends on model. If it uses a Unift, then yes. The adapter stays on the floor, and the toilet bowl can be lifted off and replaced.

However, if you find the toggles, then there is no need. It can all be done from the top.

Ho333ard

Reaction score
OK, I found what I think may have come with the seat-- it's two long hex-head machine screws, two green anchors, and two thick but flat rubber grommets that look exactly like the ones that are used for tank bolts.
Or maybe this isn't what I'm looking for . . .
To further complicate , or at least un-simplify things, the seat hinges have bolts that screw in from below (one of these victorian looking Benis seats I think, with vintagy chrome).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's funny that you say it's a Bemis seat.
I was telling Cathy that I thought it was some other brand than Toto for the seat bolts to fall off like that.
That confirms what I was thinking.

The green things are not the black rubber toggles with stainless steel bolts. Those are about 3" long.
If you have the enclosed bowl, it's best to use a seat the can be attached from above.

CST744S_zoom.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks