Want to install spigot at the well head

Users who are viewing this thread

djdixon1995

Reaction score
Greetings,

I recently moved into a home with a well...my first well. The well head is located near the center of the 1 acre lot...an excellent spot for a spigot for keeping the lawn watered but there's no spigot. I'd like to add one but am not sure how to go about it. It's a submersible pump with the cap in the center of a concrete pad. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
djdixon1995

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Did trench back to house, install hydrant at desired location, run pvc back to house and tie into existing water pipes.

djdixon1995

Reaction score
What I'd like to do is have the spigot right at the well. Can I somehow tie into the pump or the plumbing at the pump?

R

Rancher

Do the water pipes come up out of the "cap", or are they underground (depends on if the ground freezes there or not). If they are underground, as I suspect, they are probably PVC, depending on when the house/well was put in. You can take the cap off and look down well to see how far down the piping is, dig down between the pad and the house that depth, and if you find PVC (white plastic) then you can buy a compression union that you can splice into that line, go see your friendly hardware store.

Tell us what you find, we'll go from there.

Rancher

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can install a hydrant anywhere in the line between the pump and the house as long as there is not a check valve between the tank and the hydrant.

You will get a noticable variation in pressure when the pump is running before shutoff and after it shuts off. Before it shuts off the pressure is equal to the tank pressure + pressure drop in the line to the tank. After the pump shuts off the pressure will be the tank pressure - the pressure drop from tank to hydrant.

djdixon1995

Reaction score
Rancher,

Great advice. The pipes are underground. I followed your advice and found the PVC at about three feet below the surface. If it's as simple as splicing into that PVC with compression fittings, my intent is to "tunnel" under the concrete pad a foot or so so I can locate the stand pipe on the pad. I'll have to figure out a way to drill a hole through the concrete. Do you see any show stoppers or have any advice?

I guess the pump will just run continuously whenever I'm using this spigot. Should I be concerned with robbing the water supply to the house?

Thanks,
djdixon1995

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is no check valve between spigot and tank the effect will be exactly as if you are using the same amount of water from any other faucet.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Wouldn't every house have a check valve? If not what would stop the pump? and if you did tie into the well line and not the house line, what what turn the pump on if the pressure switch is after the check valve?

I live in new england and every house i've ever wired with a well has an expansion tank with a check valve. So someone educate me please.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wouldn't every house have a check valve? If not what would stop the pump? and if you did tie into the well line and not the house line, what what turn the pump on if the pressure switch is after the check valve?

I live in new england and every house i've ever wired with a well has an expansion tank with a check valve. So someone educate me please.

A submersible pump usually has a check valve in the pump and there is no check valve at the tank.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
A submersible pump usually has a check valve in the pump and there is no check valve at the tank.

Thanks, I still generally see a check valve at the house also, is this normal?

This is how I see them installed around here.
octobernovember07.jpg

Last edited:

djdixon1995

Reaction score
Rancher/Chris74,

I don't believe I have a check valve at the tank end (the photo was helpful). That being the case, is it a true statement that when I use a hydrant located between the pump and the tank, when I open that hydrant, the water will flow back from the tank to the hydrant which will work just like any other spigot in the house?

Thanks for all the help and advice.

djdixon1995

R

Rancher

This is how I see them installed around here.
That's how a lot of well/pump men (women) install them, with the check at the submersible and one at the tank. Some of the experts here think that can cause problems, I do my own well work, and do not install a check at the tank.

Rancher

R

Rancher

Great advice. The pipes are underground. I followed your advice and found the PVC at about three feet below the surface. If it's as simple as splicing into that PVC with compression fittings, my intent is to "tunnel" under the concrete pad a foot or so so I can locate the stand pipe on the pad. I'll have to figure out a way to drill a hole through the concrete. Do you see any show stoppers or have any advice?
An air hammer will make a nice hole thru concrete slabs, you haven't said where you live and what your freezing temperatures will be, but they do make hydrants that shut off down below and bleed off the residual water.

Rancher

djdixon1995

Reaction score
Fellas,

Job sucessfully completed...thanks to your help and advice. I used a hydrant with the valve below the freeze line as suggested. Pretty nerve racking cutting into the main supply line but it all worked out in the end.

When I did cut into the line, with the pump off, i got a lot of water, under pressure into the hole I dug. I think that must mean that I don't have a check valve at the tank.

Anyway, thanks from someone that formerly had a fear of plumbing.

djdixon1995

pitless

Well Driller, pump installer, engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.pitlessunit.com
Depending on where you live you may have violated a separation rule for a yard hydrant (that drains down) and the well.

The reason for this rule is that when the hydrant drains down it can siphon chemicals or other contaminates into the ground next to the well. Most regulations require a minimum of 10 feet spacing from a well to a yard hydrant.

I have seen many nasty things siphoned into a hydrant accidentally. If you are going to leave this new tap in place, make sure you never use any type of chemical applicator and always make sure that your remove the hose from any bucket that may have soap or other chemicals in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks