Attractive Toilets that work? Promenade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sunny Bunny

Reaction score
I've been looking at Love's recommended list of toilets and these email stream discussion and noticed that Toto is very popular. So here's my question, what attractive toilets work that don't cost an arm and a leg? Do I have to sacrifice aesthetics for function? It seems that most of the "good" toilets are rather plain. I am replacing my toilet in a 1921 Craftsman home and would like to have something attractive and functional.

I love the Toto Guinevere but man it is expensive. I do like the looks of the Toto Promenade a lot, however I noticed it does not have the GMax flush and does not come at comfort height. Does anyone have any performance information on the Toto Promenade?

I'd like to hear about any beautiful, reasonable, and fully functional toilets there are out on the market.
:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Get the Guinevere!

I have the Toto Soiree - equivalent except for looks - both strike me as being good choices for Craftsman style.

Love the ADA height and the bowl wash. These two (Soiree and Guinevere) have a unique "cyclone" bowl wash system - I don't know of any other toilets that have the same system.

Hopefully a toilet will be a one-time purchase, so why not spend a little more and get what you want?

What sort of price were you quoted for the Guinevere?

ms874_log_cabin.jpg

http://terrylove.biz/toilets/39-eco-guinevere-toilet.html

Sunny Bunny

Reaction score
Guinevere quote $890

I was quoted $890 for the Guinevere. Did not get a price for the Soiree, but I do like the looks of that one as well.:)

soiree_angle.jpg

TOTO Soiree
Terry sells the Gunivere in the Seattle area and Anchorage, for $748, and the Soiree for $686
added by Terry

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ouch!

I see what you mean!

There was a recent thread on this site of someone looking for a Toto and got a completely ridiculous quote (like the one you were given) -- they called around and found another dealer who quoted a price that was less than that of the other - so I bet you can get either of those models MUCH cheaper than you were told.

You can call Toto and find the authorized dealers in your area (that's what I did).

mercer_lid_down.jpg

Toto Mercer

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It seems that most of the "good" toilets are rather plain. I am replacing my toilet in a 1921 Craftsman home and would like to have something attractive and functional.

Toilets of the 1920s were not all that exotic. They certainly didn't have the styles that are being created in some of the brands today.

http://www.ohmegasalvage.com/Showroom Pages/Bath Pages/vintage_toilets&tubs.htm

The most prominent appearance feature of a toilet when you approach it is the seat, and most people are alone when they look at it.

You can take an American Standard Cadet 3 which has good performance, and decorate it with any kind of seat you like. You could make a wooden seat if you want, and even a wood tank-top with decoration.

I look for a china base because any kind of plastic will get dinged up from cleaning the floor and will look bad.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I look for a china base because any kind of plastic will get dinged up from cleaning the floor and will look bad.
So who makes toilets with a plastic base?
Is that a new thing out there?

take an Cadet 3 and decorate it with any kind of seat you like
Well, I guess you could do that. Kinda like putting a dress on a pig though isn't it?
I think for a 1921 Craftsman, they could do better than that.

dartmouth_pedestal.jpg

TOTO Dartmouth with Dartmouth pedestal

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
"aesthetics" is defintely in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I am not expecting much from my toilet, except to flush. But that is just me. Apparently a few people are willing to shell out in the $3500 to $5500 range for this jewel:

Sunny Bunny

Reaction score
Thanks for the link! This was in response to Sam C. I'm just getting used to how to respond with the quotes etc.

Last edited:

Sunny Bunny

Reaction score
Thanks for the information about what 1920 toilets actually looked like and the point about toilet seats. I have been vasilating between a deccorative and functional/ok looking toilets.

I really like those slow close toilet seats but they are plastic and certainly don't look as expensive as they are, nor do they look that attractive.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Sunny Bunny

Reaction score
Terry sells the Gunivere in the Seattle, Anchorage, NY and LA area for $649, and the Soiree for $595
added by Terry[/quote]

Terry,

Do you sell in MN= Minnesota?

abak_guinevere.jpg

TOTO Guinevere pedestal lav and toilet suite

Sunny Bunny

Reaction score
I've been considering the Guinever and Dartmouth. However, the Guinevre is a lot more expensive and the Skirt means I would have to move the water supply line over.

How wide is the back of the base on the Dartmouth? Thes specs don't break all the dimensions down like other brand toilet specs.

Thanks to anyone who can answer my question.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks