Copper pipe question

Users who are viewing this thread

Alexdc99

Reaction score
I have just replaced my 1/2 main line through the house with 3/4 but I have 2 foot section left to upgrade. My question is, I have 3 inches of 3/4 line coming out of my water softner that has a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer on it. Should I cut right after the adapter and solder on 3/4 to 3/4 adapter and run from there or should I unsolder the existing 3/4 line from the water softner housing and repace with my new pipe. I hope this description is clear enough.

Thanks
Alex

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
It sounds as if you may have an Autotrol control valve. If so the 3/4" is a tail piece part of the by-pass or control valve if no factory by-pass valve. Don't cut it if it is. It has a large 'ruber' gasket under the nut that connects it to the control of by-pass valve. You don't want to shorten the tail piece or burn the seal. Cut the plumbing tubing, remove the tail peice and nut and gasket and unsolder the reducer. Then use a coupler to connect the tai lpiece to your new plumbing.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Alexdc99

Reaction score
OK thanks. I do have that model and it does has a by-pass vavle in it. I need to replace the piece on the in side of the vavle. I don't recall seeing a nut and gasket anywhere near it but will look tonight when I get home. Remebering back, I think where the in and out tubes are is one giant piece with the by-pass just behind those tubes. Could i just cut right behind the reducer and use the coupler you mention on the remaining copper tubing.

Thanks
Alex

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Maybe I wrong and you don't have an Autotrol valve.

If I can, here's a picture.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Attachments

• Autotroltails.JPG
    Autotroltails.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 411

Alexdc99

Reaction score
Nope not like that one. I phoned home and my wife says it's a Culligan Mark 88 softener. I'll take some pictures of tonight and post a link to them.

thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks