Should I use air chambers?

Users who are viewing this thread

fishkiller

Reaction score
First time poster - go easy on me!

I'm replacing a vanity. The supply comes up through the floor and connects to T fittings. The horizontal outlet of each T runs to the shut off valve, then on to the faucet. The vertical outlet of the T extends another 18 inches or so upward and forms the air chamber inside the vanity. I'll have to cut the existing supply lines below the Ts in order to lift the old vanity out and drop the new one in.

I'm hoping I can simply connect new shut off valves to the 2 supply lines that I cut, and not have to sweat new T fittings and air chambers. Can I eliminate the air chamber? Space will be very tight in the new vanity, and replumbing it like the old plumbing would be difficult.

For what its worth, this bathroom is on the 2nd story of a tri-level home, and is the farthest faucet from the water main. Air chambers are present in the laundry room, which is on the lowest level and near the water main.

Any advice is appreciated!

fish

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is a rare valve you manually turn on and off that will cause hammer unless the installation is really poorly done. Plus, those air chambers usually become waterlogged after a few months. The only ones that work long term have a piston or diaphragm that separates the water from the trapped air. Sioux City, Watts, and a few others make them (around $10-15 each), and for those things that need it, well worth it. Usually only needed for things like washing machines, dish washers, etc., where you have a fast acting solenoid valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks