(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Should I use air chambers?

  1. #1

    Default Should I use air chambers?

    First time poster - go easy on me!

    I'm replacing a vanity. The supply comes up through the floor and connects to T fittings. The horizontal outlet of each T runs to the shut off valve, then on to the faucet. The vertical outlet of the T extends another 18 inches or so upward and forms the air chamber inside the vanity. I'll have to cut the existing supply lines below the Ts in order to lift the old vanity out and drop the new one in.

    I'm hoping I can simply connect new shut off valves to the 2 supply lines that I cut, and not have to sweat new T fittings and air chambers. Can I eliminate the air chamber? Space will be very tight in the new vanity, and replumbing it like the old plumbing would be difficult.

    For what its worth, this bathroom is on the 2nd story of a tri-level home, and is the farthest faucet from the water main. Air chambers are present in the laundry room, which is on the lowest level and near the water main.

    Any advice is appreciated!


  2. #2
    DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    On Albemarle Sound In Northeastern NC


    I'm not a pro plumber, just a long-time DIYer.
    In my opinion, you can eliminate those air hammer pipes, and try it without them. If you experience pipe hammer, then you can install mechanical arresters, which take much less room.
    Good Luck!

  3. #3
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    New England


    It is a rare valve you manually turn on and off that will cause hammer unless the installation is really poorly done. Plus, those air chambers usually become waterlogged after a few months. The only ones that work long term have a piston or diaphragm that separates the water from the trapped air. Sioux City, Watts, and a few others make them (around $10-15 each), and for those things that need it, well worth it. Usually only needed for things like washing machines, dish washers, etc., where you have a fast acting solenoid valve.

    Last edited by Terry; 03-03-2008 at 09:37 AM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts