Orientation of sanitary tees in vents

Users who are viewing this thread

JimV

Reaction score
Should sanitary tees be installed in vent systems so that they facilitate air flowing down towards the waste pipes, or upward to allow air to flow easily out of the system? Thanks.

Fubar411

Reaction score
I'm no plumber, but I've been told it is to show the next guy it is a vent. But it also aids the water to drail if rainfall gets in there or there is condensation.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
vents must slope towards a drain, so whether on a stack or on a horizontal, the fitting must slope to the drain. It's more about water than air.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tees

By convention, and to make inspectors happy, they are usually installed inverted, but as a practical matter air is a gas and thus does not need "sweep" fittings to help its flow.

Construct30

Reaction score
I was told the answer to this questin is "yes". Do whatever the inspector likes and don't waste time worrying. I usually run them like drains for water to run. HJ is right air will move regardless, water alone will go down without issue really either way too.

I don't think for most of us it is a code issue, but it might be for some.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks