Toto Drake louder than expected

Users who are viewing this thread

Kneauxdn

Reaction score
Installed two Drakes in my new house after reading all the good reviews.
They flush great but the gurgle at the end is quite loud. Our powder room
is close to the living room and the flush is heard quite well. I insulated the
wall to try and prevent this but it is not enough. Any suggestions on this?
Anyone else have this problem?

Kneauxdn

Reaction score
Easy answer there, but was just expecting a quieter flush. The one in the powder
room is a round bowl and the other upstairs is an elongated. I actually think the
elongated is a little quieter.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think it's just the nature of the beast. Totos are engineered with an oversized flush valve and trapway, so it dumps a large volume of water into the bowl very quickly, which in turn leads to very rapid emptying.

When I first got my Toto Soiree, I will admit I was a little surprised by the gurgle at the end of the flush. Not nearly as loud as the pressure-assisted toilet I used to have, but not exactly silent, either.

Over a few weeks, I no longer notice it - not a big deal to me now.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Interesting. My Toto Dartmouth which has basically the same flush as a Drake, has me impressed with how quite it is. Guess it's a subjective thing.

SamC

Reaction score
The gurgle at the end of the flush is the sound of the siphon breaking. Most gravity operated toilets make use of a siphon to suction the contents of the bowl into the waste pipe. A large trapway provides less resistance to the movement of water and solids through it, and is thus less likely to clog. However, the larger the trapway, the weaker the suction from the siphon. Toto's solution to this problem is their "flex trap". They added an extra hump in the trapway just before it exits into the waste pipe. After the first flush, the lowest loop ahead of the hump holds a pool of water. This shrinks the size of the trapway, from the siphon's point of view, providing a much stronger suction, but without impeding the movement of solids through it. You can watch a video that includes this design feature at the Toto web site. The idea works so well that it has been copied on some models by most other toilet manufacturers. The end result is that the sound of the stronger siphon breaking is louder. Closing the lid will help somewhat. One of those padded seats might help muffle the sound more. To my ears, it is the sound of a good design.

Kneauxdn

Reaction score
Got to ask. IS there a quieter flushing toilet that works? I have been in homes where
the flush of the toilet was subdued but I never really gave it that much thought..until now. I am going to replace the Drake with something else as i can use it in another area,
it is just too loud. Still puzzled why the elongated bowl is 'quieter" than the round bowl.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If the gurgle is heard that well in an adjacent room, I can only speculate about what other noises are also being radiated from the bathroom-

Do you have a large gap at the bottom of the door, coupled with a hard surface in a hallway? If so, maybe the answer isn't a new toilet but rather some sort of rubber sweep at the bottom of the door.

Kneauxdn

Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly the situation and I was going to do just that as a first resort.
House is new so the transition piece from laminate floor hallway to tile floor bath room
is not yet installed, and there is a gap for sound to travel. I may also try a solid wood
door also. We did insulate the inner walls speculating this problem but do need to
seal the door now. Yes "other" sounds are also escaping!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks