bit stuck! don't know where to connect my bathtub drain...

Users who are viewing this thread

Deriquelite

Reaction score
got stuck installing a new bathtub in the basement. I'm puzzled about the drain. where will it go? there is a big hole underneath it full of gravel but it don't seem to have any piping there to connect my bath drain. there's no where to connect its drain coz all the piping available are higher than the bath trap drain. that big hole, can it be use as a draining system. please help! need to finish this ASAP coz i'll be starting work next week.
many thanks...
derique of Calgary

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
If you live on top of a steep hill with extremely well-drained soil in a mild climate, that might work, but I doubt it would be up to any code I know of.

Deriquelite

Reaction score
If i can't use that big hole as a drain for my basement bathtub... what else can i do?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
DON'T attempt to drain the tub into open soil below your slab, VERY bad idea.
50+ gallons of water surging under your slab is a washout waiting to happen, not good for mildew/mold...eventually you might see cracking in the slab, and I highly doubt the soil would allow that much water to seep faster than it would rise above the slab.
Frankly, your painted into a corner, the drain location is something you consider before you decide to install a tub, or any plumbing for that matter.
You'll either have to find the main soil pipe, or install a sewage ejector.
I'm just going to say you might want to have a plumber look at this, not meaning to insult, but if you hadn't known to check drainage prior to install..there are many more things that can go wrong that you may not have considered.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks