wiring path for lights

Users who are viewing this thread

samlin7

Reaction score
Can someone confirm if this is correct sequence of wiring

14/2 cable (power source) into light fixture 1

14/3 From light fixture to a 4 gang switch box

In that switch box will be a switch to light fixture 1

There will be 3 other switches in that switch box - a 14/2 going to light fixture 2 and a 14/2 going to light fixture 3 and a 14/2 going to an outdoor receptacle for holiday lights.

Is that the correct wiring sequence?

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
If it was me wiring it, I would go to the switch box first, pigtall the hot the the 4 switches, then run the 14/2 to each light fixture.

It will work the way you have it listed also.

samlin7

Reaction score
yeah i guess i can do that, actually that was my original thought, but i was trying to be creative with less cables going into the switch box. Your way would have had

(1) 14/2 From power to a 4 gang switch box

In that switch box will be a switch to light fixture (2) 14/2

There will be 3 other switches in that switch box - a (3) - 14/2 going to light fixture 2 and a (4)14/2 going to light fixture 3 and a (5)14/2 going to an outdoor receptacle for holiday lights.

5 total 14/2 to that box

My original request would have had 3 14/2 and 1 14/3 into that switch box

3 total of 14/2 and 1 total 14/3 in that box

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Electrically, the two methods are identical. Aesthetically, most electricians would prefer that the supply cable come into the switch box. I don't know if the Code has anything to say about it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks