Confusion with copper, brass and bronze

Users who are viewing this thread

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Hello,

As I am installing a Kohler k-14489 valve (not sure if the body is brass or copper), I have accumulated a mixture of fittings and am wonder which is best.

The valve has female threads for hot, cold and the out and I plan to use male threaded adapter and sweat the copper to this.

My question is does matter or is there a preference on the threaded fittings? Would a copper threaded adapter be better than brass or bronze? Or does it matter?

As I practice the sweating I notice that it seems to take much more heat to sweat to the bronze than pure copper...and longer to cool (I screwed up a couple times and accidentally disassembled a joint that I thought was cooled enough).

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Copper adapters are fine.Keep practicing untill you get the feel of soldering.
Solder adapters to pipe first and let cool.Then thread into body of faucet.
I will look at the install diagram for your faucet shortly.

Last edited:

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Thanks, cwhyu2!

I will use the copper....I tried with a bronze adapter earlier after I already threaded into the valve and never did get it hot enough to sweat. I then took the adapter out and was able to solder it to copper...so have one assembly already.

not concerned about cost or anything, just what is best. I understand the copper adapter is ok, but is it the best solution?

thanks again!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is getting harder to find decent fittings, so it might be a crapshoot. A copper one, assumig the threads are decent, should last as long as the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks