House Sewer Line Replacement Mat'l

Users who are viewing this thread

RSTrider

Reaction score
I will be replacing approx. 50 ft of 4" clay sewer pipe from my house to the property line. I will also be adding two cleanouts, one near the house and the other at the property line. I would like some advise on the best type of pipe to replace it with. So far, my research has led me to these 4 options, though I'm open to others.

1. ABS DWV Pipe, Sch. 40
2. PVC DWV Pipe, Sch. 40
3. PVC Sewer Pipe, SDR-35 (either solvent weld or gasketed)
4. PVC Sewer Pipe, SDR-26 (either solvent weld or gasketed)

The ABS pipe and fittings are the most readily available in my area. PVC DWV does not seem as common around here, but I'm sure it can be found and I've seen a lot of recommendations for it on the internet. SDR-35 is available around here, but I'm turned off by the thin wall. SDR-26 looks OK, but I'll bet it will be very difficult to find. So, I'm leaning toward sch 40 DWV pipe, either ABS or PVC. Any of these are O.K. with the city inspector.

I'm more concerned with the quality of the product (longevity, root resistance, etc.) than the price. I would rather spend more now and have it last as long as the clay pipe (60+ yrs) than go the cheap route and have to repair it in the near future. So, what do you recommend and why?

Thanks.
Kevin

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
PVC.
ABS isn't as resilient...you'll want to check local codes/town hall on required size & material.
Some area's require SDR pipe, or cast iron...your local code trumps all.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
ASTM3034 is the green sewer pipe that we use.Gasketed or glue.No sch 40 past 3ft foundation wall.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
ASTM3034 is the green sewer pipe that we use.Gasketed or glue.No sch 40 past 3ft foundation wall.

Same here, 6" @ 10' from the house...plumbers license only goes to that 10', then it's a specialized drain layers license.
Don't ask why, rediculous if you ask me.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Yep 6"the rest of the way,We can install the pipe to before the right of way.
Then requires state sewer tappers liencesefor the rest.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Here, we have to jump hoops to install no-hub underground too..don't think it's even allowed externally.
We use resilient gaskets or lead/oakum when it's underground.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
in CA. c.i. is allowed but very $$$$ for this ues.the U.P.C. requires sch 40
not that cheep plastic grades required or allowed in other areas

your best bet is sch. 40 ABS pipe is what you are going to find in your area
and in 25+ yrs. plumbing and drain cleaning in CA. i never seen roots problems:D

MACPLUMB MASTERPLUMBER & MASTER DRAINMAN:D

CA. LIC, C-36 PLUMBER

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks