Supplement borehole pressure through mains supply

Users who are viewing this thread

Hans111

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not sure if it's possible to do this, but I hope somebody can tell me.

I live in a street where the landlord supplies the entire street's water supply through a borehole with a combination of inline valves to allow a switch over to the goverment supply if necessary.

We quite often have low pressure problems in the mornings and evenings when the demand is at a peak.

Does a valve exists that will normally run on the borehole water supply, but automatically supplement the borehole supply if the pressure drops? The main supply pressure is always higher than the output of the borehole pump.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Sounds like an undersized line, by your description that the pressure from the "bore hole" is lower than the main it's connected to..which arouses the question of how you know that.
Not sure what you mean by "bore hole", but I'm guessing you mean tap from the street main.
This is either the land lords responsibility or the towns...nobody is going to jump on it unless you and other residents bring it to their attention.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is possible to do what you say with a pressure regulator and check valves. One would have to put a check valve on the borehole pipe, and a regulator and check valve on the municipal supply pipe. The municipal supply would supply water to the system whenever the borehole supply pressure fell below the regulator setting.

Now for the problem.

I suspect that you may not be in the United States. In the US that kind of setup would be illegal.

Supplying "the entire street's water supply through a borehole" (we would call that a well in the US) constitutes a public water supply, which must be operated as a regulated and approved water system under jurisdiction of the states, under authority delegated to them by the US Environmental Protection Agency. The "combination of inline valves to allow a switch over to the goverment supply" does not sound like anything that would be accepted in the US.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks