Should I install a whole house filter before water softner?

Users who are viewing this thread

polocash

Reaction score
Will this help prolong the life of a water softner? Are there other benefits? I already have 2 stage filters at sink and frig. for ice, cooking and drinking water.

Rick

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
polocash said:
Will this help prolong the life of a water softner? Are there other benefits? I already have 2 stage filters at sink and frig. for ice, cooking and drinking water.

Rick

With certain brands of control valves yes, they can't handle dirt very well and some simply gag on it but... Clack and Fleck controls have no problem with very dirty discolored water. We use them on very dirty water when we need a turbidity or heavy iron filter. On a softener, if the water is that dirty, you need a backwashed filter in front of the softener but I suggest not using a softener with a control valve that can't handle the dirt in the vast majority of well or city waters. Also, most dirt will be backwashed out of a softener, so those softeners that suggest using a prefilter.... IMO they are not the right choice for that water or the clerk etc. is simply trying to sell you more than you need.

Using a prefilter when not needed also causes a softener problems due to the pressure loss the filter causes.

Gary
Quality Water Asscoiates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks