Adding Propane Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Cusser

Reaction score
I have a 2 year-old home with furnace and water heater fueled by a large propane tank. After the shut-off valve there is a tee with a plug on one side (1 inch pipe thread), and I was wondering how to add a line from this to a portable propane grill 55 feet away? I'm familiar with working with threaded pipe and tubing. Is galvanized or black hard pipe required, or can copper tubing (hard or soft) be used? What size pipe or tube is needed for a 55 foot run so I'd receive sufficient propane for cooking? I'd add an additional shut-off valve in this leg of run. I assume I need to keep the portable grill regulator in line. Is this a sensible thing to do, to avoid using those 5 gallon cylinders for propane? Any help or link would be much appreciated, and probably keep me from cussing. Thanks.

HVACtek1

Reaction score
As a liscenced plumber/gasfitter, my advice to you would be to call in a pro for consiltation. Gas piping is not work for amatuers. I'm not saying don't do it yourself, but have a pro help you with line sizing (sizing rules changes in each state) piping type and upon completion, a leak test.

Cusser

Reaction score
I am experienced in plumbing hydrogen gas (also flammable) and leak-checking, thanks for the heads-up though. I am primarily wondering about the sizing required for a 55 foot run.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
propane

You will have to check with your building department, or fire department, whichever has jurisdiction over propane piping, to see what materials are required. Here it would normally be either the green epoxy coated pipe, which has a relatively short service life, or yellow polyethylene which is not usually available to DIY'ers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks