(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which brand of electrical panel?

Bob....lighten up....a little humor is good in every life. ALELEC got it..

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
    My average usage for the month is about 1 kW.
    Mine is 1.46 (average over 12 years or so), but the inrush and peak loads would kill a 5.5 kW generator. Even with the 16kW "whole house" generator, I have to manage the load among the big users -- water heater, A/C, well pump, dual oven, and dryer.

My ex-girlfriends had it right -- bigger is better -- but there's a tradeoff when it comes to generators. The idle fuel consumption goes up to the point where just keeping a large (e.g., 20kW) unit running takes more fuel than the e200i at full load. Sounds to me like Bob's compromised well for what is, after all, an emergency resource.

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Getting harder to find a home that doesn't depend on 60Hz sine waves in some fashion...
    Well with all the electronics and computers in a home now, with the switching power supplies in them you would be hard pressed to find a sin wave on any of the power lines in a modern home.

Rancher

It has to be a sine wave, now it may be distorted, but the fundamental wave form is 60 HZ. The utility wave form I have seen in residential services is pretty clean.

I put a recording oscilloscope on my generator output -- the waveforms were posted on this site somewhere, but they may have been lost. There was obviously a 60Hz cycle, but the normal sinusoidal lobes were narrow and peaked. I wanted to do a FFT analysis on them but never found any software that worked at low frequencies, and ran out of time trying to roll my own. Anyway, motors and resistive loads worked OK, but solid-state equipment universally had problems, and digital clocks went nuts. Given the waveform, I was surprised that incandescent light bulbs looked normal.

I put the same scope on the line with utility power, and there was no observable distortion or spurious noise, although I agree with Rancher that I should have expected to see some.

Unfortunately, none of my friends have spectrum analyzers I can borrow . I'm moving with the wrong crowd, I guess.

Mikey:

I was hired by a generator manufacture to resolve an issue with their generator and the operation of an residential elevator. The elevator worked fine from a motor starting standpoint, generator was adequately sized to handle this load, the 2 HVAC units, well pump, refrigerators, misc lighting circuits, ect. BUT the elevator went wacky from a control standpoint over shooting floors, not recalling when connected to generator.

I disconnected the controller and put it on utility let the elevator operate on generator and ran the elevator all over town with no issues. In the end what I did to resolve the interaction issue was install a double conversion online UPS, with a contactor and controls so if the elevator was called for while on generator the input power to the UPS would be interrupted, elevator controls where then on UPS isolated power and the elevator worked fine (I checked the UPS waveform prior to doing this install). When not in operation while on generator, the UPS would be on generator to avoid depleting the battery during long outages. Everyone was happy and I got paid, which is always good.

An interesting approach. What UPS did you use?

Liebert has a small (can't rememeber if it was a 1 or 3 kva) true double conversion UPS.

I've looked at the breaker generator brackets and I plan on going that way in the future.

Right now I have a 4Kw generator wired so that it supply's the same 120 volts to both phases. This disables all the 240 volt appliances like the hot watter heater and kitchen oven.

I then have a 3Kw "continuous run" "sinewave output" Liebert UPS that I got used for $500
    Important note Ė I donít know man made laws, just laws of physics
    Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Darwin awards.

Which type of bus is going to give cleaner power, Copper vs. Aluminum? Reason being, trying to decided between a Homeline and QO, especially considering the QO breakers are about 3 times more expensive than the Homeline.

The AC breakers tend to burn up the AL bus around here.

I wish everything had copper bus.

Moved by Alternety
    Last edited by alternety; 03-05-2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Moved