flapper flaps to fast

Users who are viewing this thread

bright

Reaction score
Red flapper on Toto flaps down so fast the bowl doesn't have time to fill. I adjusted and readjusted the chain and finally put up a sign that says "hold handle down for 10 seconds so the bowl will fill".

After many months of this I am ready to try and fix it again.

I am going to replace the red flapper and the chain. But I really don't understand how this is going to help.

How to you get the flapper not to flap so fast so the water will fill the bowl

"Fix it Mom"

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

The black tube from the fill valve should fill up the bowl after the flush.
You can also put in the blue flapper, and that one stays up longer.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a thought here. New toilets like Toto, do not fill the tank as full as the old 6 gallon tanks. If you don't hold the handle down, does it get enough water to flush? I'm just thinking that maybe you are expecting as much water as the old time toilets.

bright

Reaction score
The picture looks perfect.

Maybe I still don't understand a key part. The flapper flops down and the black tube fills the tank and the bowl. Am I fixing the wrong part? Why does holding the handle down give the water more time to fill the bowl?

If the black tube is filling the tank and bowl it seems like the flapper should be down.

Should I be looking at other adjustments besides replacement of the chain and flapper?

Thanks for the help

bright

Reaction score
flabber flop

Reply to Gary:

I understand that. The tank fills up, but the water level in the bowl is low. There is a waterline, (caused by poor cleaning of owners before me).

It seems, but I might be wrong, unless I hold the handle and give it more time to fill the bowl there isn't much water in the bowl. Maybe this is the way it should be and I am trying to fix something that isn't broke.

I could post some pictures, it will take a day or two.

Please advise.

Mindy

Grazzy

Reaction score
might try shortening the chain so the flapper goes up a tad higher and might stay afloat a little longer. some flappers have styrophome on the underside that helps then float better.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To determine the maximum water a bowl can hold, take a bucket and SLOWLy pour it into the bowl. See if it rises any more than what you have. If it doesn't, that's all it gets. The bowl is like a teapot...if you fill it higher than the spout, it will run out of the spout...nothing you can do will raise it any more.

bright

Reaction score
flapper fix

Replacing the flapper was easy, once I found a store that had it. I still couldn't figure out way the bowl would clear, but not fill with water unless I held the lever for 10 seconds.

Turns out there is a black tube the should go into the white pipe and held in place with a clip. This black tube was not putting the water in the white tube because it had come unclipped.

I am hoping someone finds this helpful, because people I talked to just couldn't understand why it wasn't working.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Turns out there is a black tube the should go into the white pipe and held in place with a clip

That's why I posted the picture above showing the black tube putting water into the overflow tube.
I'm glad you figured it out.

A note on learning.
I believe the average person learns one or two things a day.
If you've learned something today, you did good.
That's how I feel at least.
That's why some people go to school for eight years before they let them loose.
And why others apprentice for four years before they are let loose.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks