Bath Tub Drain Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

ed31

Reaction score
can someone tell me if this will work

I am having the same problem. . except i think my drain wasnt made with the cross pieces. . instead it has a small ridge that is about 1/16th of an inch wide and the same deep. . on each side going from the top of the drain where the flange is to the bottom of the drain piece.. . .this looks like it would work. . .can someone tell me what they think. .

The Drain Key

Expands with a crescent type wrench to unlock or install:

Bathtub drains
1-1/4" or 1-1/2" closet spuds
Jr. basket strainers, Jr. Duo strainers
Tray plug drains and duplex strainers

Removes 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" trap (dirty arm) nipples.

It's unique expanding design allows The Drain Key
to internally grip in a 360 pattern.

drain_key.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

morehelp

Reaction score
I've got a nasty one with no crossbars. I have a surfing buddy who is a plumber and he said the Master Drain Extractor works best for him so I'm going to order it from their web site. There's also a YouTube video showing how it works.

Martinlp

Reaction score
this is a tool you all need

PAS4500.jpg

No I don't work for this site but this what I use all the time I work in a very old apartment complex this happens to me all the time, I use to use the break a peace off method than hammer with flat screw driver counter clock wise all the time and it does work but can damage the tub depending on tub material.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The suggestion that was given to me by Home Depot and Ace Hardware is to hammer a screwdriver (or something) into the side of the drain to use for leverage. I can't even manage to do that. (I can barely put a dent into it.) I thought about trying to drill a hole into the side of it but I'm scared to do that because I don't want to go through and damage the threads preventing putting a new one in.

STOP!!! DO NOT get advice from Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace Hardware. All of the procedures you list in the above paragraph are definite ways to destroy the entire drain and then you will have to do some remodeling to install a new one. I would be reluctant to tell ANYONE how to remove that drain because doing it even slightly wrong will damage the tub or destroy the drain assembly. A good plumber could remove both drains in less than an hour. There are "expansion" devices to remove drains without the crossbars, ASSUMING it will unscrew without breaking the under tub piping.

lswote

Reaction score
replacing bathtub drain basket

The cross-posts in my bathtub drain basket corroded and broke off so there is nothing for a drain basket removal tool to grab and I don't think that the tool would work (am I wrong?). My bathtub is only 11 years old, but it is on a concrete slab so I don't have access to anything under or behind the tub and the tub has ceramic tile all around it so taking it out would be a big deal. Is there anything i can do to get the drain basket out so I can replace it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you do get it out, the shoe it screws into may move, and it may be a big bear to replace. The techniques to remove it have already been described...there are tools that grab the crossbars (won't work in your situation), there's one that expands to grab the thing from the inside, and then there's the brute force method that essentially cuts a notch, then you use that to unscrew it or pry it away from the edge of the tub. The last can damage the tub if you don't take care.

jwatson

Reaction score
Drain Key is stuck

We bought the Superior Drainkey and it screwed down into the drain. We then turned it to unscrew the drain and it got stuck and wouldn't turn anymore and the drain will not come out and neither will the drain key! Please help!!

debc

Reaction score
Desperate!!! Jacuzzi Tub Center Drain Removal?

I've got a major problem with trying to remove my tub drain. First of all it seems like the plumber's putty has turned to epoxy! :( I have no access to the plumbing since the tub is a center drain and the drain is on located on the exterior wall. So no way to cut a hole. The plumbing is PVC pipe.

I have tried a Smart Dumbell wrench, the Tub Drain Key wrench, a hairdryer to soften the putty and cut a wedge into the lip to try and drive the drain out of the pvc pipe but none of the above methods have worked!

Half of the drain lip has broken away but the interior threaded portion of the drain has remained solid in the PVC pipe!

So this is my question .... Is there a way to tap the old drain to receive a new drain?
Or ... is there a way to ream out the old drain and re-thread the PVC pipe?

I should mention .... the PVC pipe does not seem to be anchored, it moves around when trying to work on the drain. I really do not want to damage the pipe because the tub is a Jacuzzi Tub and removing it is financially out of the question at this time. I do try to stabilize the PVC pipe by holding a screwdriver behind it while I work on it.

I really need help with this one! Thanks!

debc

Reaction score
Jacuzzi Tub Drain Removal Success!

I'm glad to report that I was able to solve my jacuzzi tub center drain removal problem. I thought I'd post my solution so that it might help others with the same issue.

What I finally did was to borrow a Dremel tool and bought a tungsten carbide cutting bit for stainless steel. I then used the bit to cut a ridge into the side of the drain interior, being careful not to go too deep into the PVC pipe. Once that was completed I was able to get a small screw driver into the ridge, pry the drain towards the center and Voila! the entire drain was then very easily removed.

Installed the new drain, using teflon tape on the threads and plumber's putty. What a beautiful thing! :)

I had been fighting with this for 3 days! Hope this helps others.

NYCremodel

Reaction score
remove overflow cover and drain

I am having my tub reglazed in a few days. Figured it was a good time to remove and replace the drain which is rusty looking, and simlar for hte overflow which is broken and looks like it was glazed but should by chrome colored.

Question: Can I easily remove these myself just before or while the glaze guy is here? Is it just a matter of unscrewing them both? I think that is standard for a drain, but is it similar for the overflow? (the tub glaze guy said he can sometimes do the overflow, but can't do the drain and those sometimes pose problems) From what I've read online, the drain should be easy (with specialized tool or even just with something to get torque like inserting handles of pliers and then using screw driver as a handle), but can't find much on the overflow. Any advice on one or both is greatly appreciated!

Picture attached.

Thanks,
Mark

drain.jpg

NYCremodel

Reaction score
BTW- On first inspection I did NOT notice a bolt or screw in the overflow drain. I can look closer if someone thinks its there, or is it possible this thing is screwed directly onto the tub, or just attached with sort of epoxy or something?

lainfla

Reaction score
Bath tub Drain Removal!!!

Yes, there are ! They're not because I'm yelling, but frustrated to no end...
I'm not mechanically inclined at-a l l. So I can read the posts but I simply cannot get the picture in my head.

I purchased the Tub Drain Dumbell wrench, however, there are only two tiny notches b/c someone, apparently prior to me has worked on this tub prior, and broke that cross
thingy. Anyhow,

Does anyone know where there is a site that would actually show me a video on how to remove this piece of metal that has the drain blocked. I own no tools except for a blow dryer, a dumb bell( 3 lbs) and a screw driver, which stared to bend slightly as I attempted to bang on it after I stuffed the opening with a plastic bag to make it atleast be even with the notches.

I haven't had a shower in a week and I'm desperate...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks