venting a water heater through a wall???

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeyVon

Reaction score
Building a new house and trying to figure out my hot water. I have thought about tankless (and I still am), but I think I would much rather go with a regular tanked unit. It is me and my wife with 2 little ones. The house will have 1 shower, 1 soaker bath, 1 bath/shower combo, 3 lavs, 1 utility sink, 1 kitchen sink, and a dishwasher. We generally do not use hot water for clothes washing.

The water heater will go in the utility room on the first floor next to an outside wall. I do not want to vent up to the roof unless it can be done in a 2x6 wall.

I know of powervents but I hear they can be loud and troublesome.

What options do I have for water heaters that can be vented out a wall instead of out of the roof?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Everyone makes what is called a "direct vent" water heater. Vents horizontally, does not have a vent fan. They are pricey.

MikeyVon

Reaction score
ok good, that is what I thought but was not sure. How pricey is pricey? Any recommened brands? I think I would like a larger unit as our 40 gal unit in our current home does not cut it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have used a Rheem Powervent for years. It is not noisy. It vents with PVC or ABS pipe through the side of the house. Newer models can use smaller pipe and run for longer distance. I would suggest you look seriously at them. Tankless are discussed on this forum quite a bit. The majority of the opinions are that they are very costly to maintain, they do not provide very much hot water in colder climates, it is next to impossible to find anyone to service them, and are not at all cost effective. I would suggest you research the archives to read the comments yourself.

Construct30

Reaction score
Most code officials are very strict about direct vent water heaters or fire places, some don't allow them, you better check first, make sure it is installed to code for your area. Windows, doors, decks, electric services, meters, and many other issues for outlet.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Mikey, Where are you located? Southern US Tankless is a very viable option... Not so much so in the frozen northern wastelands.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks