Bath granite now pop-up drain problem

Users who are viewing this thread

edwardh3

Reaction score
We had granite put in a bath vanity. New drop in sink. Wife also said get wide spread individual faucets. everything is installed now.
But-- the distance from the drain hole over to where the faucet's lift rod is, has changed.
In the old setup- " a plastic vanity top with moulded in sink had the drain near the back of the sink, and a 4 inch centerset faucet on the sink edge ) -- distance from the faucet lift rod to the drain horizontally was about 4 and 1/2 inches.

Now with the drop in sink, its drain is in the sink center not the back , the lip edge of the drop in sink adds an inch , and another distance (about an inch) over to the faucet spout- the lift rod to drain horizontal distance is now about 9 and 1/2 inches
This increased distance is causing me problems getting the lift rod and the pop-up actuator rod to work- the actuator rod (with the white ball) is too short- I have tried putting an offset in the lift rod strap but its a mess.
Are there any other ways to do this? Also now have a stop valve interference issue

Construct30

Reaction score
Go to a plumbing supply not a box store in your area and tell them you trouble. They make drains for these situations. I have bent anlge off sets in the down rod and fixed minor issues, but it sounds like you tried that. You may need a cable setup.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rod

Go to a hardware store and buy a 1/4", or whatever the diameter of your's is, rod coupling, and a piece of rod, or a bolt, the same size. Cut it to fit and use the coupling to fasten it to your drain rod.

Construct30

Reaction score
Go to a hardware store and buy a 1/4", or whatever the diameter of your's is, rod coupling, and a piece of rod, or a bolt, the same size. Cut it to fit and use the coupling to fasten it to your drain rod.

Sounds like he has a problem doing that because of clearance issues with a valve. I have seen longer rods coming out of the drain, but I don't have a clue where to buy one. I'd use a cable drain with all these issues, it will be hard to make it work smooth any other way if he already tried bending a kick and was unhappy with the out come.

edwardh3

Reaction score
3 problems a cable thing might solve

1. One is that the granite company moved the sink over about 3/4 inch so the down rod hits the stop valve dead on its top

2. Moen has a big black horseshoe piece that goes under the center spout, under the counter as bracing- its an inch high and keeps the lift rod (which comes out on the wall side if this thing) from bending back toward the bowl.

3. Since the faucets are spread there is a rats nest of coiled up vinyl tubing going from the faucets to the spout.

Whats would a cable thingy be called and who would sell it.

What I need is something like a bicycle brake cable

Hard to believe this is not a common problem

Construct30

Reaction score
Unfortunately I can not find an after market cable drain for any thing but tubs and kitchen sinks. I installed a widespread vanity faucet once a while ago with one, but I don't know what brand.

Usually you have to curl the "hoses" properly to get them out of the way and set the drain and valves up so you can just bend an offset in the flat piece with the holes, that the rod hooks to and make it work.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Big box put out a display of Am. Std. cable drains a while ago... I was at the same store 2 days in a row... The first day it was not there and the second it was so I know that it was up less than 24 hours and all of the drains on the display were already broken. I'll pass on those.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks