Badly rusted outdoor junction box

Users who are viewing this thread

A12548

Reaction score
My outdoor gray metal pull box, about 8" x 8" is badly rusted. It houses the wiring from my pool filter and spa and lighting. Are there any tips before I tackle this or any links to help me out? thanks

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
pics?

Scrape it/paint it or replace it.

Do all the wire "make up" in it or do any pass thru without wirenuts?

Replacement may be as simple as disconnecting everything, remove/replace the box and reconnect everything. Do you hae to drill new holes or did they use factory knock outs.

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If this is in the vicinity of pool equipment chlorine will aggravate the demise of any metallic boxes. Switch it out to plastic, better yet have an electrician that is familiar with pools do an inspection of all the pool equipment and replace the box during the inspection.

KD

Reaction score
Outdoor steel boxes are shipped with a primer coat, usually grey. They will rust in several years depending on the weather. I paint them with Rustoleum oil base high gloss.

2islandboy

Lighthouse Engineer
Reaction score
Hoffman Boxes

I use Stainless Steel "Hoffman Boxes" for rough outdoor jobs. Real cheap on ****. I just saw one, bidding for $.99 8x6x4 stainless

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks